I love this time of the year, when you can wear your favourite sweaters and feel all warm and cosy. There is something about Autumn and how we dress that makes this season feel like the start of something new. When you walk, you notice the changing colours of the leaves around you, the sun is getting weaker and the rain is coming more often. The crispy mornings are making me reach for my sweaters, wanting to feel wrapped up on the way into work. Going for a coffee, hot chocolate or tea, you can still sit outside and enjoy the weather, making the most of it, before it becomes too cold to enjoy it. There are many places to choose from here in Corfu, to enjoy your coffee sitting outside, from the famous Liston, side street small cafe’s and one of my favourite’s - the bohemian artsy ‘Le Petite Fleur’.
When I was growing up I remember how much I loved to wear sweaters, my mum used to knit me quite a few and now the bigger and sloppier the better! I love those huge, oversized baggy sweaters that you can wear over leggings. Those types of sweaters are on trend, as well as chunky polo necks in light shades of grey and 90’s style furry, chunky hooded sweaters. Last Autumn, bright sweaters and crazy printed styles were all over the shops, now it’s more monochromatic, with eyelash yarns adding texture. You can also find an array of knitted styles, from cable knits, waffle stitch and chunky garter stitch being popular.
Here is a rundown of the sweater trends for this Autumn/Winter:
1. Oversized sweaters - the bigger and baggier the better! When you feel cosy and comfy but still look sophisticated in a boho-chic way, then this is the perfect look for you! You can pair this with anything, leggings, skinny jeans or even mini skirts!
2. Metallic sweaters can go from day to night when you are at work, taking you from the office to cocktails with ease. They look so good yet have a certain relaxed effortlessness to them - like you just threw it on and turned up looking fabulous!
3. Turtleneck sweaters are all over the shops at the minute, with big side splits (I’m wearing a vest underneath mine for sure - no cold sides for me!) From loose to skin tight, they are all in fashion.
4. Chunky sweaters are so good! When you are freezing or having a fat day this is the perfect cover up. You can wear over jeans or leggings, with chunky boots. I love a chunky knit!
5. Cable knit sweaters are normally quite chunky too, which means they are so warm! There is a wintery kind of Christmassy vibe to a cable knit, offering a Nordic style in white or grey. I have a white cable knit cardigan and it does go with everything!
6. Pastel sweaters with muted colours and dainty ice cream hues are also around again this year, offering a bit of class and sophistication. I see them as being workwear, seen in an office near you!
7. Colour block sweaters are around this year with monochromatic offerings from Zara and ASOS. I love the sweater from Zara and think that this could be a winner for work, worn over black leggings and boots.
8. Fuzzy sweaters...okay so why are they still here? I had one in 1998 and it was awful. Made totally from black eyelash yarn, it was a cropped sweater with a hood and it was stretchy. I have memories of that sweater making me feel a bit chunky and cold around the midriff! So I’m not reliving that trend for anyone!
I hope you are going to invest in some new knitwear this year, I know I will. Out with the old and in with the new! So have a clear out and make room for some of the lush sweaters that are out there.....or you could always make your own....but that is another blog post in the making!
Have a great week makers! xoxo
*All of the lovely images are taken from Pinterest*