The social media account that I didn't like using at first but fast became the most popular of all my accounts is Twitter. I started using Twitter to promote my makes and my Etsy shop, tweeting and retweeting fellow Etsy sellers. I now constantly use twitter everyday to promote my Etsy shop and try to retweet as much as possible. Even though you only get 140 characters for your tweet (less if you include a link and an image) it is worth adding a stellar image to make your tweet stand out in the crowd!
Here are my top 5 tips on how to use Twitter to promote your Etsy shop:
1. Write Your Bio - For your profile page, write a 160 character description of yourself and what you are about. My description tells you a tiny bit about me and has a link to my website.
2. Follow People With Similar Interests - Most of the people I follow and that follow me are fellow Etsy shop owners and Etsy team members. By joining a team on Etsy you can use their dedicated hashtags to get your tweets retweeted. You can check out their images and written style for inspiration.
3. Share Content and Update Your Status Daily - Use Tweetdeck (or Hootsuite) to schedule tweets so that is taken care of during the week or in different time zones. Many of my customers are based in the USA so scheduling tweets for when America is awake is important. It is also helpful to add links to your blog, website or your Etsy shop. You can use a url shortener like bitly or Google url shortener to do this. This allows more characters in your tweet and enables you to track how many views your link is getting. Also (very important!) use hashtags - check hashtagify.me to check the popular hashtags that relate to your subject.
4. Integrate Twitter To Your Blog And Etsy Shop - The follow button can be added so that visitors can easily follow you. This is a great feature meaning that visitors to your website or Etsy shop can tweet one of your makes or follow you on Twitter.
5. Add A Pinned Tweet - Choose a popular tweet with a great image that represents your Etsy shop to pin to the top of your profile page. This makes it easy for your followers to retweet you without having to scroll through your page or photographs. Click on the three dots underneath your tweet and choose 'Pin To Profile Page'.
If you want to know more about how to promote your Etsy shop using social media please take a look at my other posts here:
I hope that you have success with Twitter and share with me your success stories!