This knitting pattern is great for those of you out there who love knitting socks and what could be sweeter than a tiny pair of baby socks in candy coloured stripes?!
You can make these socks in all sorts of colour combinations, from rainbow brights to soft pastel shades and neutrals.
I like to knit socks, when I need a project where I don’t have to think too much and can just knit round and round whilst watching TV or travelling on the train.
*Scroll down for the free printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
This baby sock pattern does involve lots of counting and concentration, mainly because of the stripes and keeping the stripe pattern correct.
If you want to make it simpler, you could make them all in one colour.
For this free sock pattern, I used cotton in coral, mint and lemon colours and they knit up really well on 3mm (US 11) circulars.
You can substitute the yarns in your own colour choices, of course using any yarn that can be worked on 3mm (US 11) needles.
Baby Sock Pattern
You can make baby girl socks in a variety of light pastel shades including pinks and lemon and for baby boy socks, greens, greys and blues.
These sweet socks would make a great gift too, for any little one and they are so easy to make you can give to all of the littles you know.
Baby Socks Knit
When you are learning how to knit, a sock pattern can seem a little scary at first, but once you start it all becomes pretty easy.
I knit this pair of baby socks on 3mm (US 11) circular needles instead of DPN’s (double pointed needles) as I find the circular needles easier to work with.
The DPN’s I have in this size are so fiddly and I always end up losing one on the sofa somewhere!
Baby Socks Knitting Pattern Free
Everyone has their own preference when it comes to using DPN’s or circular needles, so it is whatever is right for you.
This pattern is for one size – age 3-6 months, you could, however, extend some of the stitches/stripes and modify it for 0-3 months or 6-9 months.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 31 of the baby and kids knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 4 ply yarn 50g x 3 colours:
- Coral (Yarn A)
- Lemon (Yarn B)
- Mint (Yarn C)
- Any super fine 01 yarn.
- 3mm (US 11) 16″ circular needles
- Darning needle
- Stitch Markers
*Place a marker at the beginning of the round.
*Also please note – carry the yarn throughout the pattern unless it tells you to break the yarn
- Using Yarn A cast on 36sts.
- Work 3 rounds in *K1, P1* to end.
- Rounds 4-5 – Using Yarn C, K to end.
- Rounds 6-7 – using Yarn B, K to end.
- Rounds 8-9 – using A, K to end
- Rounds 10-27 – as rounds 4-9 three times.
- You can cut Yarns B and C now and re-join later
Start Heel >
- Using A, K15, turn, leave remaining sts on needles for instep.
- On 15 sts, work 7 rows in stockinette st, starting with a Purl row.
Shape Heel >
- Row 1 – k9, turn.
- Row 2 – sl, p2, turn.
- Row 3 – s1, k1, sl, k1, psso, k1, turn.
- Row 4 – s1, p2, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 5 – s1, k3, s1, k1, psso, k1, turn.
- Row 6 – s1, p4, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 7 – s1, k5, s1, k1, psso, turn.
- Row 8 – s1, p6, p2tog, p1.
- Break Yarn.
- Using Yarn A pick up and knit 6 sts along the heel, 9sts from the needle, 6sts along the heel, K to the end of the round, then move stitch marker to here.
Cont as follows >
*Join in Yarn C then B as in the pattern
- Round 1 – using Yarn C, p2tog, k19, p2tog, K to end.
- Round 2 – using Yarn B, p2tog, k17, p2tog, K to end.
- Round 3 – using Yarn B, p2tog, k15, p2tog, K to end.
- Round 4 – using Yarn A, p2tog, k13, p2tog, K to end.
- Round 5 – using Yarn A, K to end.
- Rounds 6-25 – as round 5, keeping stripe pattern correct.
- Break Yarns B and C.
Shape Toe >
- Using Yarn A,
- Round 1 – knit to the last stitch, slip this stitch onto the left-hand needle to be the first stitch of the next round.
- Round 2 – *K2tog, k13, s1,k1, psso* twice
- Round 3 – Knit
- Round 4 – *K2tog, k11, s1, k1, psso* twice
- Round 5 – Knit
- Round 6 – *K2tog, k9,s1, k1, psso* twice
- Round 7 – Knit
- Round 8 – Cast off.
Second Sock > Make the second sock to match.
Finishing > Join toe seam and weave in any loose ends.
It is best to use a flat seam when sewing up socks so that there is no ridge inside that will rub against the skin.
Join the edges with oversewing stitches, matching the sides as you work.
Size> to fit baby 3-6 months
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit 2 sts together
P = Purl
P2tog – url two stitches together
Psso – pass slipped stitch over
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
RIB = K1, P1
St(s) = Stitch(es)
St St = stocking stitch – knit 1 row, purl 1 row
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby Socks Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the socks, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo