Make yourself a beautiful twisty, curly knitted bookmark or keyring with this fun and easy free knitting pattern.
I made this bookmark twirl in a bright turquoise double knit yarn and added blue coloured beads.
You could also make a keyring, by adding three or more twirls and stitching them onto a keyring loop.
There are just so many possibilities for knitted twirls!
The bookmark pattern is easy to follow, knit flat on straight needles.
You can use up leftover yarns in your stash and make lots of twirls in different colours.
The pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning new stitches.
If you would like to make more knitted items for the home, please take a look at the other patterns in the home knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 15 of the home knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- DK yarn in any colour of your choice.
- Keyring hoop or metal bookmark.
- 4mm (US 6) knitting needles.
- Darning needle.
- Tape measure
Cast on 26 sts
- Row 1 and every alternate row – Purl.
- Row 2 – Increase knit wise into each stitch.
- Row 4 – *K1, increase into next stitch*, repeat from * to * to end.
- Row 6 – *K2, increase into next stitch*, repeat from * to * to end.
- Row 8 – *K3, increase into next stitch*, repeat * to * to end.
- Row 10 – Cast of knit wise. Twist up the length as it is cast off the needles.
Making up >
Bookmark – If you have a metal bookmark stitch to the end (or glue with a glue gun)
Key ring – Stitch the twirls to your key ring loop – add beads too.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)