Make a cupcake tea cosy with this easy pattern for beginners.
This easy level pattern requires basic knitting knowledge of knit and purl stitches, as well as some shaping.
Why not knit this lovely cupcake cosy, that will look like a centrepiece when you use it and people will definitely ask you about it.
This would be suitable for a beginner as well as a seasoned knitter.
The pattern is easy to follow, knitted flat on straight needles.
You can use up leftover yarns in your stash and make lots of tea cosies in different colours.
Tea Cosy Pattern
The tea cozy pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning new stitches.
If you would like to make more knitted items for the home, please take a look at the other patterns in the home knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 15 of the home knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- Pink DK Yarn
- Brown DK Yarn
- Cream DK Yarn
- Red DK Yarn
- Pink / Lemon DK Yarn
- 5.5 mm (US 9) Knitting Needles
- 4 mm (US 6) Knitting Needles
- Darning Needle
- Tape Measure
Make 2 pieces
- With 5.5 mm (US 9) knitting needles and the pink yarn cast on 24 sts.
- K1, P1 – Until piece measures 4.5 inches.
- Change colour to brown (use double strands – and continue with 5.5 mm needles) and knit.
- Work Knit, Purl (Stocking stitch) until piece measures 1 inch in the brown yarn.
- Change yarn to cream (double strands and use 5.5 mm needles) and knit 4 rows.
- Skpo, K1, Knit to last 2 sts K2tog.
- Repeat last 2 row until you have 10 sts left.
- Cast off knitwise.
Large Bobble >
- With Red DK yarn and 4 mm (US 6), knitting needles cast on 14 sts.
- Start with a Purl row and work in stocking stitch until piece measures 3 inches.
- Cast off Purlwise.
- Stitch around the square and pull together. Stitch bottom together to form the bobble shape.
Small Bobble >
- Using pastel DK pink or lemon yarn with 4 mm (US 6) knitting needles cast on 4 sts.
- Start with a Purl row and work in stocking stitch until piece measures 1 inch.
- Cast off Purlwise.
- Stitch around the square and pull together.
- Stitch bottom together to form the bobble shape.
Making up >
- Place right sides of tea cosy body together and stitch leaving holes on both sides for the teapot handle and spout.
- Measure or pin on your tea cosy to make sure you have the right size openings.
- Stitch the large red bobble to the top of the cupcake tea cosy.
- Stitch the smaller bobbles in various places around the cream knitted part of the tea cosy.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)