Make a newborn Santa hat this Christmas and use it in your holiday photos!
It is really quick and easy to make, knit up on size 9mm needles (US 13) with chunky yarn. So not only is it cute but also really cosy!
The newborn Santa hat is completed with an oversized pom in cream.
You can make this baby hat in the traditional red and cream colours or experiment with other festive colour combos.
This free hat knitting pattern is great for beginners as it is simple to follow. Just check the measurements for the size you need and off you go!
*Scroll down for the free printable pattern*
Baby Santa Hat Knitting Pattern
The infant Santa hat is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles.
This means that there is no seaming needed, you just have to stitch in any loose ends when you are finished.
You will need a large pom maker to make the pom or if you are going for the traditional method – a large piece of cardboard.
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Santa Hat For Baby
The baby Christmas hat knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a quick project and great for stash busting – any yarns you have leftover from other projects can be used up for baby hats!
I have made many hats using cotton and wool/acrylic blends. Using bulky yarn is preferred for this hat, Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or Hometown would work really well.
If you would like to make more knitted items for baby, including holiday hats please take a look at the other patterns in the baby knitting pattern library.
- 1 ball of chunky yarn suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles
- (Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar would be ok to use).
- Yarn in a coordinating colour (white or cream) for the pom and brim of the hat in the same yarn type.
- Any super bulky yarn (06)
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months) in brim colour (white or cream)
- Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 1″.
- Then change yarn to main colour (red) and knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Both sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Make 1 oversized pom in a coordinating colour and sew pompom to top of the hat.
Please note >
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Santa Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo