This fun Christmas baby hat pattern is almost too cute to handle.
The big pom baby hat is knit with super bulky yarn on size 9.00mm (US 13) needles, so it’s quick to make and perfect for any holiday newborn photography sessions or Christmas card photographs.
This beanie hat is finished off with two over-sized poms for a whimsical look that will make you melt.
Knitting for babies is fun no matter what your skill level and this hat pattern is easy for any beginners.
Knit in the round, this hat uses basic knit stitches and requires some decreasing.
*Scroll down for the free printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Baby Christmas Hat
The baby Christmas hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles.
This means that there is no seaming needed, you just have to stitch in any loose ends when you are finished.
You will need a large pom maker to make those HUGE poms or if you are going for the traditional method – a large piece of cardboard.
The knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a quick project and great for stash busting – any yarns you have leftover from other projects can be used up for baby hats!
I have made many hats using cotton and wool/acrylic blends. Using bulky yarn is preferred for this hat, Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or Hometown would work really well.
- 1 ball of chunky yarn suitable for size 9.00mm (US 13) needles
- (Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar)
- Yarn in a coordinating colour for the pom and brim of the hat in the same yarn type.
- Any super bulky yarn (06)
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Tape measure
- Darning Needle
- Pom maker (Large)
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months) in the brim yarn (shown in the picture as white). Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 1″.
- Then change yarn to main colour (grey) and knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Both sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Make 2 oversized poms in a coordinating colour and sew pompoms to top of the hat.
Please note >
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Christmas Pom Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo