This sweet holiday hat pattern for baby is super cute!
This Christmas baby hat is knit with super bulky yarn on size 10.00mm (US 15) needles, so it’s sure to protect your baby from the cold and will look awesome in any holiday photos.
*Please scroll down for the free printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Christmas Baby Hat
This beanie hat is finished off with an over-sized pom for a whimsical look that will make you melt.
Knitting for babies is fun no matter what your skill level and this hat pattern is great for beginners. Knit in the round, this hat uses basic knit stitches and requires some decreasing.
The hat will look great in any colour, so experiment with neutrals or brights depending on your personal preferences.
Baby Hat Knitting Pattern
The baby hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles.
This means that there is no seaming needed, you just have to stitch in any loose ends when you are finished.
There is some stranding – carrying a different colour to make those little V shapes and for the stripe.
The knit pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a quick project and great for stash busting – any yarns you have leftover from other projects can be used up for baby hats!
I have made many hats using cotton and wool/acrylic blends. Using bulky yarn is preferred for this hat, Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or Hometown would work really well.
- 1 ball of yarn in red and scraps of white suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar.
- Any super bulky yarn.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
Yarn A – Red / Yarn B – White
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months) in Yarn A.
- Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
- 1st rnd: Purl
- Knit next 4 rows (0-3 months), / 5 rows (3-6 months) / 6 rows (6-12 months) / 7 rows (18-24 months).
- Then change yarn to Yarn B and knit 3 rows (0-3 months), / 4 rows (3-6 months) / 5 rows (6-12 months) / 6 rows (18-24 months).
- Change to Yarn A and knit 3 rows (0-3 months), / 4 rows (3-6 months) / 5 rows (6-12 months) / 6 rows (18-24 months).
- Add in Yarn B and work as follows;
- *Knit 2 sts Yarn A, knit 1 Yarn B
- Next 2 rows knit in Yarn A*
- Follow this pattern from * to * until the hat measures 5″ (0-3 months) / 6″ (3-6 months) / 7″ (6-12 months) / 8″ (18-24 months) from the cast on edge.
Next start to decrease the top using Yarn A only >
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around till last st K1.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
KFB/ Knit into the front and the back of a stitch
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Holiday Beanie Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo