The weather is getting warmer – yeehah! So I am currently doing some catch up with spring knits, including a new collection of baby knits and a women’s wear SS/18 collection.
To kick that collection off, I want to share a clutch bag pattern that I made recently using a mixtape yarn, this yarn is so good to knit with, as it is lightweight yet bulky so it knits up fast.
This knit clutch purse has been made with spring/summer in mind – great for drinks or the beach, it has wooden bamboo handles, that go well with the bamboo knit stitch, that was used to create the clutch.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
The Bamboo Stitch
This is an excellent beginner project, that will introduce you to the bamboo stitch.I used Wool and the Gang’s Mixtape yarn in Peach Pink for this clutch bag project.
Here are a few photos of when the clutch was on the needles and the yarn I used to make it >>
Free Clutch Bag Pattern
It’s really simple to make, with a little bit of counting involved and some knowledge of basic knitting stitches.
You start with a number of stitches on 10mm (US 15) 16″ circular needles (or straight needles) and work the bamboo stitch across all of the stitches on the right side and on the wrong side you simply purl.
You repeat these two rows until you have a rectangle, which you then cast off and attach to the handles.
Finally sewing up the side seams and weaving in all loose ends.
Easy Knit Bag Pattern
I have a video tutorial further down in the post to show you how to do the bamboo stitch and it’s really easy.
This summer clutch can be used for drinks, at the beach or anywhere else you want to take it.
I’m planning on using mine for beach drinks when the weather gets warmer, it will look so good with a white off the shoulder dress and tan gladiator flats.
I made this bag really fast, watching a couple of episodes of Lucifer on Netflix. I was knitflixing! and yes it was the highlight of my day.
Anyway, it is a really easy knit bag that you can do in a couple of hours.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 24 of the women’s knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 1 x Wool and the Gang Mixtape Yarn in Peach Pink
- 1 pair of 10mm (US 15) needles (straight) or 16″ circulars
- Darning Needle
- Tape Measure
- Gold rope/thread
- 1 x pair of Bamboo Handles (or whichever type of handles you want to use. I got these from John Lewis in the UK).
- With 10mm (US 15) needles cast on 32sts
- Row 1: K1, *Yarn Forward, K2, pass increased stitch over the knitted stitches*. Rep from * to * to last st, K1.
- Row 2: Purl
- Repeat the last two rows until the piece measures 14″ from the cast on edge.
- Cast off.
- Sew in any loose ends.
Making Up The Clutch Bag >
- Cut a good length of mixtape yarn and thread through the darning needle.
- With the right side of the bag facing you start to stitch the bamboo handle along one side of the bag.
- Loop the stitches around the handles until the end and secure.
- Do the same thing with the other handle on the other side.
- Stitch the side seams together (I did this using the mattress stitch, with the right sides of the bag facing me).
- Weave in any loose ends.
An alternate way to finish the handles >
If you want to finish off the handles in a different way, you can do the following >>
- Pick up and knit 12 sts
- Cont in pattern until the extra length measures 2.5″
- Cast off.
- Rep three times at every corner.
- Stitch with the extra bits caught over the top of the bamboo handles.
- Do the same for all of the extra handle flaps.
The finished measurements are >
H (inc handles) = 8″
W = 10″
Gauge = 2 sts in 1″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
P = Purl
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
St(s) = Stitch(es)
YF = Yarn Forward
Women's Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Summer Clutch Bag Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Making The Tassel >
Making the tassel is easy and fun!
- You need to wrap our yarn around a piece of cardboard (I used a notebook) and secure the top.
- Then you slide it off the cardboard and wrap a section of yarn around the top bit. Cut the bottom so the yarn can shake loose.
- Wrap some gold thread or rope around the top bit so that it hides the knot and gives some contrast.
- Sitch some of the same gold rope/thread through the top of the tassel.
- Attach it to your keyring and clip it onto the bag.
If that all sounds a bit complicated, here is a video tutorial to make it clear >
I hope that you have enjoyed this post and that you will feel the need to make your own knitted clutch bag!
Let me know what you think in the comments and as ever happy knitting! xoxo