Make your little one a baby sweater for spring/summer with this free and easy pattern.
The pattern uses one of the most basic knitting stitches, garter stitch.
It will also introduce you to shaping, through increases and decreases, for the neck, the V split in the back and the sleeves.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Baby Sweater Knit Pattern
I used a lovely cotton from Rico design for the pattern in two colours – powder and nature, but any baby cotton will knit up well.
The ribbon I used for the tie in the back, I bought from a local craft store.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 31 of the baby and kids knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
Newborn Sweater Pattern
This easy knit baby sweater is a great pattern for any beginner, as it uses basic garter stitch throughout and will introduce you to simple shaping through increases and decreases.
If you are learning how to knit, baby knitting patterns are great to start with before you move on to more complicated patterns that include intarsia and other advanced techniques.
I’m always learning new stitches and have many stitch bibles for both knitting and crochet to dive into whenever I need to learn something new.
This white and pink baby sweater will look amazing in any colour combination – from light pastels to neutrals or brights – you can make a few!
- 2 x balls of Rico Creative cotton Aran in the colours nature (white) 60.
- 1 x ball in powder (peach) 61.
- Any medium weight yarn.
- 4mm (US 6) straight knitting needles.
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Sewing thread in the same colour as the ribbon.
Yarn A – Powder (Peach) / Yarn B – Nature (white)
- With 4mm (US 6) needles and Yarn A cast on 52 sts.
- Work in garter stitch until piece measures 2.5″ from the cast on edge.
- Change to Yarn B and continue in garter stitch until the piece measures 5″ from the cast on edge.
- Cast on 34 sts at the beg of the next 2 rows.
- Continue to knit garter st on these sts until the piece measures 7″.
- Knit 53 sts, cast off the centre 14 sts, knit to the end of the row.
- Now work on each set of stitches separately.
- Row 1: Slip the first st, knit to the end.
- Row 2: Knit 2 sts, K2tog through the back loops, knit to the end of the row.
- Work the last 2 rows twice more.
- Work in garter st until the piece measures 8.5″.
Split in the back >
- Cast on 11sts at the beg of the next row.
- Work on these 61 sts for a further 2.75″.
- Break the yarn and leave the sts on the needle (or on a stitch holder) while you continue to work the other side.
The other side >
- With the wrong side facing, rejoin the yarn to the neck edge and knit the row.
- Row 1: Knit to the last 4 sts, K2tog, K2.
- Row 2: Knit
- Work the last 2 rows twice more.
- Continue in garter stitch until piece measures 8.5″.
- Cast on 11 sts at the beg of the next row.
- Work on those 61 sts for a further 2.25″.
- Next Row: Knit across all of the sts from both of the halves, knitting the two center sts together.
- Work in garter st until piece measures 3.5″ from the back of the neck edge.
- Cast off 34 sts at the beg of the next two rows.
- Continue to knit for a further 2.5″
- Change to Yarn A and knit in garter st until that colour measures 2.5″.
- Cast off.
Making Up >
Sew in all of the ends. Stitch the side and sleeve seams, leaving a neat edge in the seaming of the sleeves, so that when they are turned back you don’t see any bumpy edges.
Cut two lengths of ribbon and stitch to the back openings. Fold the end and stitch into place.
Tie the ribbon into a bow.
6 sts in 1”
This pattern is to fit baby size 0-3 months
For sizes 3-6 months and 6-9 months, please see the pattern available in my shop, that has all 3 sizes.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
Dec = Decrease
Inc = Increase
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit 2 sts together
P = Purl
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
RIB = K1, P1
St(s) = Stitch(es)
St St = stocking stitch – knit 1 row, purl 1 row
YF = Yarn Forward
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby Sweater Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the baby sweater, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo