Make your little one a pair of sweet booties for the warmer weather with this easy knitted baby booties pattern.
The pattern uses basic knitting stitches, including garter stitch and stocking stitch.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Baby Booties Knitting Pattern
It will also introduce you to shaping, through increases and decreases.
I used lovely cotton from Rico design for the pattern in the colour sand, but any baby cotton will knit up well.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
Thank you for your support!
Baby Booties Pattern
Newborn booties are always fun to make and these baby soft booties will make you want to make more in a variety of colours.
This easy knitting pattern is great for beginners, as it just uses knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to shaping.
I have made many newborn baby booties using this pattern and they look awesome in any colour, I have even made the rolled top in a mustard colour with the body of the bootie in white.
You can experiment with various colour combinations to go with your littles different outfits and rompers.
The baby slippers are knit flat on straight needles, which means they have to be seamed to finish.
I know many of you don’t like seaming, but it’s really easy and they always look neat when complete.
Remember to put in a little stitch if you want the rolled top to stay over.
If you would like to see more free baby knitting patterns please visit the baby patterns library.
- 1 x ball of Rico cotton Aran in Sand (59)
- Medium weight yarn 04.
- 4 mm (US 6) straight knitting needles
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
Make 2 booties the same >
- With 4mm (US 6) needles cast on 29 sts
- Work 10 rows stocking stitch.
- Next row – Knit 19 sts, turn
- Next row – Purl 9 sts, turn.
- On 9 sts work 14 rows in stocking stitch. Break yarn.
- With right side of work facing, rejoin the yarn to the inside edge of the 10 stitches and pick up and knit 7 sts along the side of the foot, knit across 9 sts on the needle, pick up and knit 7 sts along the other side of the foot, and finally knit across the remaining 10 sts.
- Work 7 rows of garter stitch, every row knit.
- Shape The Foot
- Row 1 – Knit 2 sts, k2tog, knit 15 sts, k2tog, knit 1 st, k2tog, knit 15 sts, k2tog, knit 2 sts.
- Row 2 – Knit to the end of the row
- Row 3 – Knit 2 sts, k2tog, knit 13 sts, k2tog, knit 1 st, k2tog, knit 13 sts, k2tog, knit2 sts.
- Row 4 – Knit to the end of the row
- Row 5 – Knit 2 sts, k2tog, knit 11 sts, k2tog, knit 1 st, k2tog, knit 11 sts, k2tog, knit 2 sts.
- Row 6 – Cast off.
Making Up >
Weave in all ends along the work, not up to the side, as this will cause a bumpy edge.
Lay work out and gently steam.
Join the heel and the foot with a flat seam.
Roll over the top edge and stitch down the back seam with a single stitch to keep the rolled edge in position.
6 sts / 6 rows in 1”
This pattern is to fit baby size 0-3 months
For sizes 3-6 months and 6-9 months, please see the pattern available in my shop, that has all 3 sizes.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Beginning
Cont = Continue(ing)
Dec – Decrease
GS – Garter stitch
Inc – Increase
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P = Purl
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
St(s) = Stitch(es)
St St – Stocking stitch
YO – Yarn over
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Easy Baby Booties Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the booties, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo