Make a fitted newborn hat with this free knitting pattern.
This newborn hospital hat is really easy to make and doesn’t take very long.
Knit in the round, this hat uses basic knit stitches and requires some decreasing.
This easy newborn baby hat pattern is perfect for beginners and can be made in larger sizes for babies up to 24 months.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Easy Newborn Hat Pattern
The knit newborn hat will look great in any colour, from neutrals, pastels or brights.
If you want to experiment, you can use a variety of different yarn types and even add a pom.
The baby hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles.
Newborn Hat Knitting Pattern
Working on circulars means that there is no seaming needed, you just have to stitch in any loose ends when you are finished.
The pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a quick project and great for stash busting – any yarns you have leftover from other projects can be used up for baby hats!
I have made many hats using cotton and wool/acrylic blends. When I use cotton I normally use size 9mm (US 13) circular needles and knit with two strands of the cotton together.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 31 of the baby and kids knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 2 balls of Rico Essentials Cotton DK in beige (91) - knit with 2 strands together.
- Any medium weight yarn knit with 2 strands together.
- Or a super bulky weight yarn if you want a warmer hat.
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape Measure
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months).
- Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
- Knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Both sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Sew in any loose ends.
Please note >
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Newborn Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the newborn hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo