Make a newborn photography prop with this easy hat pattern!
The newborn hat is knit in the round, with a longer length added to the crown, so that it can be knotted when complete.
This is a beginner level knitting pattern, with basic knit and purl stitches used. It will also introduce you to shaping.
Newborn props can often be expensive and if you are providing them for a photo shoot for your new baby or you are a newborn photographer, then you can easily make a few props with my free knitting patterns.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Newborn Photography Hat Pattern
The knot hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting the hat in the round and using simple decreases to elongate the hat, so that when finished the top can be knotted.
You can experiment with the length and see if you want to make it longer or add a pom to the end.
The pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a quick project and great for stash busting – any yarns you have leftover from other projects can be used up for baby hats!
I have made newborn prop hats using cotton, mohair and wool/acrylic blends. I find that cotton works really well for this pattern and I often knit with 2 strands together on 9mm (US 13) needles.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 31 of the baby and kids knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 2 balls of Rico Baby So Soft in cream (02) knit with 2 strands together.
- Any medium weight yarn knit with 2 strands together.
- An alternative - any super bulky weight yarn.
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Tape measure
- Darning needle
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months). Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
- Knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- All sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- When you have around 18 sts left on the needles, continue knitting until the length of the piece from the top of the hat to the end measures 10″. you can extend or shorten this to how you want it to look.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from* around.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Then tie a knot at the end of the hat.
- Finishing: Sew in loose ends.
Please note >
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Newborn Knot Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo