Make a cozy knitted hat with this children’s hat knitting pattern.
This chunky kids winter hat is really warm and chunky, made with Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in two fall colours.
The pattern is really easy to make up and will be great for any beginner knitters.
This is an easy level knitting pattern, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, and k2tog as well as knitting in the round, using either circular needles or double pointed needles (DPN’s).
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
Children’s Hat Pattern
The kid’s hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing and then for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- 2 balls of super bulky yarn
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Wheat (402) and spice (135) or something similar suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16" circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
Yarn A – Wheat / Yarn B – Spice
- Cast on > 36 sts in Yarn A
- K2, P2 for 2.5″
- Change to Yarn B and knit 1 round.
- 1st round: K2, P2
- 2nd Round: Knit
- Repeat the above until the work measures 8″ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog* Repeat all around.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a large pom in Yarn A and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat.
- K1 then k2tog, repeat to 2 / 1 sts before the end of the row
- K2, K1, K2, K1, K2
- Cut yarn and pull tight to secure.
- Sew in all ends
- Make a pom to stitch on the top of the hat.
Gauge – 2st/1″
This hat pattern was made for size – 4 to 12 years.
Circumference = 20-21″
Length w/o pom = 8.5″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Lion 640-135 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn , 97 Meters, Spice
Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn (402) Wheat
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo