Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
Make a warm ribbed hat for your little one with this free kids hat knitting pattern.
This chunky kids hat is so warm and cosy that I just had to get a pattern out there for you guys to make.
It is so comfy it will definitely keep your kid warm during fall and winter.
It knits up fast too, using ribbing and has a huge pom stitched to the top of the hat.
This is an easy level knitting pattern, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, and k2tog as well as knitting in the round, using either circular needles or double pointed needles (DPN’s).
Children’s Beanie Pattern
The kid’s hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing and then for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
Kids Beanie Knitting Pattern
This easy hat knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning the basic knitting stitches.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted items for kids, please take a look at the other patterns in the kids knitting pattern library.
- 1 ball of chunky yarn (Lion Brand Hometown in Chicago Charcoal (150) or something similar) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles. Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- 1 ball (or enough scrap yarn) for the pom pom. I used Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Fisherman (099).
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
- Cast on > 36 sts
- 1st rnd: K2, P2
- Repeat the above until the work measures 8″ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog* Repeat all around.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a large pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat.
Gauge – 2st/1″
This hat pattern was made for size – 4 to 12 years.
Circumference = 20-21″Length w/o pom = 8.5″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.