Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
Keep your kids snuggly and warm with this kids hat and matching scarf knitting pattern!
The earflap and scarf pattern is an easy beginner level, using basic knit and purl stitches, there is also some shaping involved.
Make your little ones a chunky earflap hat with a pom to keep them warm during the winter and add the matching scarf too with this easy pattern.
**If you would like to buy this set from my Etsy shop please click here.**
Kids Hat + Scarf Pattern
The hat and scarf pattern is easy to follow, the scarf is knit flat on straight needles and the hat is knit on circulars or DPN’s depending on your preference.
This knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for practising garter stitch.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients neck/shoulders and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted items for kids, please take a look at the other patterns in the kids knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 31 of the baby and kids knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 45 (50, 60, 75) yards bulky weight yarn
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Barley and Fisherman
- Knitting Needles – size US 11 (8mm) and US 13 (9mm) 13 inch circulars or dpns.
- Tape Measure
- Darning needle
- Pom maker
- With smaller needles cast on 30 (35, 40, 45) stitches
- Starting with a purl row, create 6 ridges working in garter stitch (in the round – p1, k1 round).
- Knit 3 (5, 7, 9) rounds.
Decrease for crown
Change to larger needles
- Row 1 – *K 4 (5, 6, 7), K2tog; rep from *. 25 (30, 35, 40) stitches.
- Row 2 – Knit
- Row 3 – *Knit 3 (4, 5, 6), K2tog; rep from *. 20 (25, 30, 35) stitches.
- Row 4 – Knit
- Row 5 – *Knit 2 (3, 4, 5), K2tog; rep from *. 15 (20, 25, 30) stitches.
- Row 6 – Knit
- Row 7 – *Knit 1 (2, 3, 4), K2tog; rep from *. 10 (15, 20, 25) stitches.
- Row 8 – Knit
Infant, toddler and child sizes only
Row 9 – Knit (1, 2, 3), K2tog; rep from *. (10, 15, 20) stitches.
Row 10 – Knit
Toddler and child sizes only >>
Row 11 – K (1, 2), K2tog; rep from *. (10, 15) stitches.
Child size only >>
Row 12 – K (1), K2tog; rep from *. (10) stitches.
All sizes >>
Last row – K2tog (5 stitches).
Cut yarn and weave in the remaining stitches. Pull together and bind off. weave in any loose ends.
Right Ear Flap
With RS facing and smaller needles and beginning 4 (4, 4, 5) stitches to the right of cast on tail (centre back), pick up one st in each of next 7 (9, 11, 11) stitches along cast on edge.
- Row 1 – (WS) Knit
- Row 2 – K1, K2tog, k4 (6, 8, 8)
- Row 3 – K1, K2tog, k3 (5, 7, 7)
- Row 4 – K1, K2tog, k2 (4, 6, 6)
- Row 5 – K1, K2tog, k1 (3, 5, 5)
Infant, toddler and child sizes only >>
Row 6 – K1, K2tog, k (2, 4, 4)
Row 7 – K1, K2tog, k (1, 3, 3)
Toddler and child sizes only >>
Row 8 – K1, K2tog, K (2, 2)
Row 9 – K1, K2tog, k (1, 1)
All sizes >>
Last row – K3tog.
Cut yarn leaving a 6″ tail hanging from one ear flap. Cut a length of yarn twice as long as the tail hanging from the ear flap. Using a darning needle, slip the length through the end of the cap so each end hangs out evenly (you should have 3 lengths of yarn to braid). Braid the ends and tie off the end, trim as you wish.
Left Ear Flap
With RS facing and smaller needles, skip next 9 (10, 11, 14) stitches across centre front and pick up one stitch in each of next 7 (9, 11, 11) stitches along cast on edge.
Complete the same as right ear flap.
Create a large pom pom with any remaining yarn or in a different colour and attach to the top of the hat. Make sure the pom pom is secured tightly.
Weave in any loose ends.
Kids scarf Knitting Pattern
Make a matching scarf with the pattern below >>
- With chunky yarn and Size 9 mm (US 13) needles cast on 9 (for a small scarf for a toddler) or 12 (for a larger scarf for a child)
- Knit all stitches until you get your desired length (knitted for a child to wrap around the neck as in the photographs).
- The scarf in the photographs was knitted until it measured 50″ long – this was to be modeled by a 4 year old child.
- Cast off.
Make 2 pom poms and stitch onto the ends of the scarf.
Fold the corner points of the scarf edges together and secure the pom pom into place (see photograph for guidance).
Newborn, Infant, Toddler, Child
To fit head circumference: 14 (16, 18, 20) inches (the hat has about 2 inches of negative ease).
10sts = 4 inches in st st on larger needles
10sts = 4 inches in garter stitch on smaller needles.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
(3 Pack) Lion Brand Yarn 640-124J Wool-Ease Thick and Quick Yarn, 97 Meters, Barley
Lion 640-099 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn , 97 Meters, Fisherman
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.