This simple women’s messy bun hat pattern is an excellent beginner project.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
This ribbed ponytail hat would take you around an hour to make (depending on how fast you knit!) and will be welcomed in the colder weather when you go running or for brisk walks.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Messy Bun Hat Knit Pattern
Make yourself a bun beanie with this free pattern!
The hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on 16″ circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
This messy bun or ponytail hat is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning the basic knitting stitches.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted items for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
Thank you for your support!
- 1 skein of super bulky yarn (in black) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles (Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in black or something similar).
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Scrap yarns can be used, as you do not need a full ball for this pattern.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Cast on > 42 sts
- K3, P3 ribbing until the work measures 6″ from the cast on edge. (If you want the hat to be a little longer – you can increase this by one or two inches).
Decrease as follows >
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3, P3, K3, P3tog* Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: K3, P3tog, K3, P1* Rep from * around.
- 3rd rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from * around till last st.
- 4th rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from * around till last st.
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten so that you have an opening large enough to fit your hair through.
Don’t close it up too tightly or it will be difficult to pass your hair through the hole.
Sew in any loose ends.
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Lion 640-153 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn , 97 Meters, Black
Knitter's Pride-Dreamz Fixed Circular Needles 16"-Size 15/10mm
Outus Large-eye Blunt Needles Steel Yarn Knitting Needles Sewing Needles, 9 Pieces (Silver)
Women's Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Messy Bun Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.