This chunky winter cowl and hat knitting pattern would make a cozy gift for yourself or to give to someone.
The chunky knitted beanie hat with a large pom and matching cowl set is an easy pattern to follow, all you need is some knowledge of the knit and purl stitches.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Free Knitting Patterns
This hat and cowl have been made using chunky yarns to ensure extra winter warmth!
This is a beginner knitting pattern and the techniques involved are knit and purl stitches, K2tog and working on either circular needles or double pointed needles.
The hat and cowl pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles, you could knit on DPN’s if it is your preference.
Easy Cowl and Hat Knitting Pattern
This easy knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning the basic knitting stitches.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
Free Knitted Hat Patterns
The hat and cowl size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted hats for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 24 of the women’s knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- 3 skeins of super bulky yarn (in thistles – purple) – I used Hayfield Super Chunky With Wool in shade 0057
- 1 skein or a scrap of white (I used Yarn Art Alpine Alpaca in white 433) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar will also be fine to use.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″circulars for the hat and 24″ circulars for the cowl.
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
Yarn A – White / Yarn B – Thistles (purple)
- Cast on > 40 sts in yarn A
- Start off in rib – K2, P2 until piece measures 2″
- Change yarn to yarn B and knit 1 row, then continue in the pattern below >
- 1st rnd: K2, P2
- 2nd rnd: Knit
Those two rows form the pattern – continue this until the hat measures 9″ from the cast on edge.
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K2tog. Rep from *
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a large pom and securely fasten to the top of the hat.
- Cast on 60 sts in yarn B
- 1st round – purl
- Then next row: Knit
- Next row: K2, P2
- These two rows from the pattern >>
- 1st rnd: Knit
- 2nd rnd: K2, P2
- Continue this until the cowl measures 11″ from the cast on edge. (You can make it longer or shorter).
- Cast off on the last knit row.
- Sew in any loose ends.
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Lion 640-099 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn , 97 Meters, Fisherman
KnitPro Symfonie Interchangeable Needle Chunky Set, Multi-Color
Outus Large-eye Blunt Needles Steel Yarn Knitting Needles Sewing Needles, 9 Pieces (Silver)
Women's Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Elisavet Hat + Cowl Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.