Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
This chunky hygge women’s bobble hat would make a great gift to yourself or someone else this winter!
The knitted beanie hat is a relatively easy pattern and can introduce you to working with two yarns in the upper tier.
This hat is made from thick chunky yarn, which will keep you warm and toasty in the colder weather.
Cosy Winter Hat Pattern
The techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and stranded knitting in the round, as well as knitting on either circular needles or double pointed needles.
The hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on 16″ circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
This easy hat knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning the basic knitting stitches.
Beanie Knitting Pattern
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted items for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 24 of the women’s knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 3 balls of chunky yarn (in dark brown, brown and light brown) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- I used Yarn Art Alpine Alpaca in 430, 431 and 438.
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar will also be fine to use.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
Yarn A = Dark Brown / Yarn B = Brown / Yarn C = Light Brown
- Cast on > 38 sts in Yarn A
- 1st rnd: K1, P1 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 2″.
- Next row: Change yarn colour to Yarn B then knit every round until that colour block measures 2″.
- Next row: Change yarn colour to Yarn C and knit 1 round, in the last stitch, Kfb to create a stitch. Now you have 39 sts.
- Add in yarn A and work as follows;
- *Knit 2 sts Yarn C, knit 1 Yarn A
- Next 2 rows knit in Yarn C*
- Follow this pattern from * to * until the hat measures 9″ from the cast on edge.
Next start to decrease the top >
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around till last st K1.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Outus Large-eye Blunt Needles Steel Yarn Knitting Needles Sewing Needles, 9 Pieces (Silver)
8 Pack Pompom Maker, KOMIWOO 4 Sizes Pom Pom Maker Set for Fluff Ball Waver Needle Craft DIY Wool Yarn Crochet Knitting Craft Tool Kit Decoration
KnitPro Symfonie Interchangeable Needle Chunky Set, Multi-Color
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo