This infinity scarf and hat knitting pattern is a great project for a beginner knitter.
The super chunky scarf is a seamless infinity loop that can be wrapped twice around the neck to turn into a warm cowl.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Infinity Scarf Pattern
This is a beginner knitting pattern and the techniques involved are knit and purl stitches, K2tog and working on either circular needles or double pointed needles.
The hat and cowl pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles, you could knit on DPN’s if it is your preference.
This easy knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning the basic knitting stitches.
Knitting For Beginners
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
The hat and cowl size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted hats for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
Thank you for your support!
- 3 skeins of super bulky yarn (in grey – I used Hayfield Super Chunky With Wool in shade 0051) for the infinity scarf.
- I used 3 strands together for the scarf.
- 1 skein of Sirdar Big Softie in grey for the hat.
- I made the skein into two balls and knit 2 strands together for the hat.
- A great substitute yarn would be Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick.
- Super Bulky Yarn.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars for the hat
- Set of 25mm (US 50 ) for the infinity scarf.
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker - Clover 2-1/2 inch large.
- With 10mm (US 15) 16" circulars - Cast on > 40 sts
- Join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- Start off in rib – K2, P2 until piece measures 3″
- Then knit every round until piece measures 8″ from cast on edge.
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from *
- 2nd rnd: Knit
- 3rd rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from *
- 4th rnd: K2tog
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a large pom pom and securely fasten to the top of the hat.
- Using 3 strands of yarn together and the 25mm (US 50) circular needles.
- Cast on 70 sts and join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st round – P2, K3
- Continue to P2, K3 until piece measures 9″ from cast on edge.
- You can continue if you want to make the scarf longer in width, but you will need an extra ball of yarn.
- Cast off in rib.
- Sew in any loose ends.
This hat and infinity scarf knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
You are welcome to sell items knit from this pattern, I just ask that you give pattern credit to Handy Little Me and link to www.handylittleme.com in any listings. Thank you!
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Hera Hat And Cowl Knitting Pattern PDF Download
KnitPro Symfonie Interchangeable Needle Chunky Set, Multi-Color
Lion Brand Yarn 641-154 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Bonus Bundle, Grey Marble
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.