Easy DIY Crochet Heart Cake Toppers
I want to share with you a cute pattern to make your own crochet heart cake toppers.
They look great with cupcakes or you could even make a few to decorate a wedding cake with a handmade vibe.
I used a thin thread (from Anchor) to make the ones in the photos and it was a bit fiddly at times.
The larger the crochet hook you use the bigger the crochet hearts will get.
This was a fun little project and people have asked where I got the cake toppers from and if they were easy to make.
I hope you enjoy this pattern and have a great time making them!
Crochet Cake Topper Pattern
This easy crochet pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to crochet as it is a great project for learning the basic crochet stitches.
If you would like to make more crochet items, please take a look at the other patterns in the crochet pattern library.
- Anchor pearl cotton crochet thread
- Toy stuffing
- Sticks – either barbeque skewers or toothpicks
- 0.60mm crochet hook
- Darning needle
- With your yarn choice and a 0.60mm crochet hook make a slipknot
- Ch 3 – join to form a circle
- R1 – ch 1, work 9 sc through the centre of the ring.
- R2 – 18 sc – work 2 sc into every stitch around.
- R3 – Work sc into every stitch (18)
- R4 – One sc in every stitch (18)
- Complete 4 more rounds of 18.
- Make 2 of these circle pieces – In the first circle to end – slip stitch to even the round, cut your yarn and thread through.
- In the second circle – leave 5 remaining sc before you finish.
- Attaching the circles together – There is 13 sc on round 4 of the second circle piece – now work the two pieces together.
- Count 5 stitches back on the first circle piece and sc the two pieces together back to back.
- R5 – work 1 sc in every stitch around – until you come back to the beginning tail.
- R6 – work in the round – sc – there will be a decrease at each side of the heart.
- To decrease – put your hook through the first stitch, wrap yarn over, pull it through – 2 loops on hook – put hook through next stitch, yarn over then pull yarn through when you have 3 loops on hook.
- Work sc until you come to the opposite side, decrease on the opposite side.
- Continue to do this for all rounds until the heart is forming a point.
- Stuff the heart with toy stuffing or polyfill as you go, as the opening will get smaller and harder to work.
- In the last round – one sc decrease in each stitch around.
- Cut the yarn and pull tail through to secure. Sew remaining stitches together.
- Insert a stick into the pointed end of the heart and secure with a little bit of glue.
- Your cake topper will be ready to use!
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
dc – double crochet