This week I want to share with you a crochet potholder pattern.
If you keep working it in the round to make it bigger you could make a pillow cover or even large squares that could be joined together for a blanket or throw.
I used double knit yarn in various pastel shades to make this crochet granny square potholder and a 4mm (US G/6) crochet hook.
You could use a thinner yarn with a smaller crochet hook if you wish, but I found this yarn worked really well.
This easy crochet pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to crochet as it is a great project for learning the basic crochet stitches.
If you would like to make more crochet items, please take a look at the other patterns in the crochet pattern library.
- 3 x yarn in various colours – double knit (any scraps from your yarn stash will be ok)
- 4mm (US G/6) crochet hook
- Darning needle
Make a slip knot (photo 1) then Ch 5
Make a slipknot.
Join with a slip stitch to form a ring.
- Round 1 – Make 3 ch into the ring, work 2 trebles, then ch 3
- Continue to work into the ring, make 3 trebles, 3 chains, three times.
- Join the last loop with a slip stitch into the beginning of the ch. This join completes the first ‘ring’ of the round.
- You should have 4 shells = 12 trebles
- Round 2 – Ch 4 – then in the next 3-chain space – work 3 trebles, 3 ch, 3 trebles.
- Repeat this until the last 3 ch space – in this space work 3 trebles, 3 ch, 2 trebles.
- Join with a slip stitch to beginning ch, this completes the round.
- You should have 8 shells = 24 trebles
- Round 3 – make 3 ch, then into the same space – work 3 trebles, 1 ch
- In the next corner space work 3 trebles, 3 ch, 3 trebles, 1 ch
- Continue all the way round – join with a slip stitch – to complete the shell of the round.
- You should have 12 shells = 36 trebles.
- Round 4 – make 4 ch – in the next 1 ch space work 3 trebles, 1 chain
- In the next 3 chain space work – 3 trebles, 3 chain, 3 trebles, 1 ch
- Then in each next 1 ch space work 3 trebles, 1 ch – repeat all around to last chain space.
- In the last ch space work 2 trebles, 1 ch
- Join with a slip stitch to the beginning of the chain.
- You should have 16 shells = 48 trebles.
- *Follow this pattern (Round 4) to make the square larger – if you want a bigger size. *
- Keep going round and change colours to make the potholder. If you want to finish in round 4 you will have a granny square.
- If you make more of these you will be able to stitch together to make a cushion cover or blanket.
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
dc – double crochet
tr – treble crochet