Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
The Hera hat and infinity scarf pattern is a great project for a beginner knitter. The super chunky scarf is a seamless infinity loop that can be wrapped twice around the neck to turn into a warm cowl.
This is a beginner knitting pattern and the techniques involved are knit and purl stitches, K2tog and working on either circular needles or double pointed needles.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop. Thanks so much for your support!
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 24 of the women's knitting patterns which is great value. Thank you for your support!
Easy Infinity Scarf + Hat Knitting Pattern
- 3 balls of chunky yarn (in grey - I used Hayfield Super Chunky With Wool in shade 0051) for the infinity scarf. I used 3 strands together for the scarf.
- 1 ball of Sirdar Big Softie in grey (this has now been discontinued but here is a list of substitutes) I made the ball into two balls and knit 2 strands together for the hat.
- Gauge - 5 stitches = 2"
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) circulars for the hat
- Set of 25mm (US 50 ) for the infinity scarf. I got mine here.
- Stitch markers
- Scissors/Darning needle/Tape measure
- Pom pom maker
Chunky Hat Pattern
Cast on > 40 sts
Start off in rib - K2, P2 until piece measures 3"
Then knit every round until piece measures 8" from cast on edge.
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from *
- 2nd rnd: Knit
- 3rd rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from *
- 4th rnd: K2tog
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a large pom pom and securely fasten to the top of the hat.
Infinity Scarf Pattern
Using 3 strands of yarn together and the 25mm (US 50) circular needles.
Cast on 70 sts
1st round - P2, K3
Continue to P2, K3 until piece measures 9" from cast on edge.
You can continue if you want to make the scarf longer in width, but you will need an extra ball of yarn.
Cast off in rib.
Sew in any loose ends.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P - Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO - Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
For any help with the knitting stitches please visit the video tutorials page here >