Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
Inspired by Metsovo in Greece, this snow beanie hat knitting pattern is an excellent beginner project. Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping. It can be worn as seen for extra slouch or with the brim rolled (turned up) for a closer fit.
This is a beginner level knitting pattern, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, as well as knitting on either circular or double pointed needles.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop. Thanks so much for your support!
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 24 of the women's knitting patterns which is great value. Thank you for your support!
Cosy Winter Beanie Hat Pattern
- 2 balls of chunky yarn (in light grey and white - I used Yarn Art Alpine Alpaca in white 433 and grey in Yarn Art Alpine 334) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles. Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar will also be fine to use. Super bulky weight - 106 yards. Scrap yarns can be used, as you do not need a full ball for each colour. However, whichever colour you make the pom in will need to have more yarn available.
- Gauge - 5 stitches = 2"
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) circulars
- Stitch markers
- Scissors/Darning needle/Tape measure
- Pom pom maker
Snow Beanie Knitting Pattern
Yarn A = Light Grey / Yarn B = White
Cast on > 38 sts in Yarn A
1st rnd: K1, P1.
2nd rnd: Knit every round until work measures 4".
Next row: Change yarn colour to Yarn B then knit every round until work measures 8.5" from cast on edge.
Decrease as follows >
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from * around till last st K1.
- 4th rnd: Knit
- 5th rnd: K2tog.
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P - Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO - Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
For any help with the knitting stitches please visit the video tutorials page here >