Children's Beanie Pattern
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
This chunky kids hat is so warm and cosy that I just had to get a pattern out there for you guys to make. It is so comfy it will definitely keep your kid warm during fall and winter. It knits up fast too, using ribbing and has a huge pom stitched to the top of the hat.
This is an easy level knitting pattern, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, and k2tog as well as knitting in the round, using either circular needles or double pointed needles (DPN's).
Kids Beanie Knitting Pattern
- 1 ball of chunky yarn (Lion Brand Hometown in Chicago Charcoal (150) or something similar) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles. Super bulky weight - 106 yards.
- 1 ball (or enough scrap yarn) for the pom pom. I used Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Fisherman (099).
- Gauge with yarn doubled - 2st/1"
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) circulars
- Stitch markers
- Scissors/Darning needle/Tape measure
- Pom pom maker
This hat pattern was made for size - 4 to 12 years.
Circumference = 20-21"
Length w/o pom = 8.5"
Children's Beanie Knitting Pattern
Cast on > 36 sts
1st rnd: K2, P2
Repeat the above until the work measures 8" from the cast on edge.
Decrease as follows >
K2tog* Repeat all around.
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a large pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P - Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO - Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
For any help with the knitting stitches please visit the video tutorials page here >