Source > Cameron Spencer/Getty Images Sport/Getty Images
This Chloe Kim hat pattern is really easy and great for any beginner knitters.
When I first saw Chloe Kim’s super chunky knitted hat I was thinking, ‘I want one!’
It is just so huge and looks so warm that it is no wonder the internet went crazy over it.
For days all I saw on social media were posts about this gold medal-winning snowboarder and her knitted hat, so it made me want to make one and give you guys a free pattern to make one too!
Chloe Kim Hat
The white knitted hat she wore at the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics was a hit with everyone all over the world.
With an oversized pom pom and a team USA badge stitched onto the turned over brim, the hat was perfect for the snowy weather conditions.
The Burton Team USA design is perfect for the snow and ice cold temperatures, which makes knitting one up easy and quick, with chunky yarn and super-sized needles.
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
If you are new to knitting and want to learn how to knit there are many easy and free patterns on my website, just take a look at my knitting pattern library, with patterns for women, men, baby, kids, pets and the home.
Here is the free chunky hat pattern for you to make, I added a USA flag to mine, some people have been adding USA badges, but it looks great without one too.
I knit the hat with super bulky yarn, Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman 099 using two strands knit together.
This made the hat super chunky and really cosy – perfect for any snow vacation!
Knit one up and enjoy being toasty in the cold weather!
Making hats is a great way for beginners to start knitting in the round and using those circular needles.
From experimenting with different yarns and making hats to gift to friends, family or charity, they are often great relaxing mindless knits.
If you want a pattern that you can knit up quickly, this hat is a great choice.
Take a look here for more free hat patterns.
Super Chunky Yarn
This hat works so well because it has been knit with super bulky yarn doubled.
Knitting with two strands of yarn together, you end up with a huge cosy hat.
This would look awesome in any colour, not only white, so you can experiment with various colour and yarn combinations.
Chunky Knit Hat
I added a USA badge to the front of the hat, and an oversized pom pom that was made with a large clover pom pom maker.
The hat is suitable for any ski trips you have planned or if you are an avid snowboarder.
I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn, but a good alternative would be The Wool from We Are Knitters.
- 2 x skeins of super bulky yarn - Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman 099
- Suitable for size 15.00mm (US 17) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Set of 15.00mm (US 19)16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 - 1/2 inch Large.
- USA patch/badge
- Knit with 2 strands together.
- Cast on > 38 sts, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K1, P1 to the end of the round.
- Repeat the above until the work measures 9.5″ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K1, K2tog* Repeat to the end of the round - to the last st, K1.
- K2tog* Repeat to the end of the round.
- K2tog* Repeat to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a large pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat.
- Optional > Stitch on a patch of your choice, a flag or team USA badge!
This hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Gauge with yarn doubled – 2st/1″
The hat's circumference - stretched = 30" / Unstretched = 20"
Height w/o pom = 10"
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
PM - Place marker
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the pattern, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!