You don’t need to spend lots of cash to make pretty door wreaths this autumn – you can easily make a DIY door wreath with little cost.
This wreath was made with a few supplies from a craft store and a dollar store (or our equivalent here in Greece – Jumbo!).
*Scroll down for the printable instructions*
I spent around 15 dollars on supplies, which included the wooden wreath from a local craft store, jewellery making wire and potpourri.
All you need is a basic wreath form to get started – I used a wooden one that was medium sized and also a smaller one that had a rough texture.
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Dress Up Your Front Door For Autumn
I wanted something that was true to fall colours, so stayed with neutrals including hints of orange and green.
You can, of course, use any colours you like!
This fall door wreath is inspired by Autumn but could also be made for Christmas, with a few colour changes and the knitted elements changed to mini Christmas trees, stockings and bells.
Your neighbours will love your DIY wreath and of course your guests that arrive for Thanksgiving!
You can use items that you find in the garden or in the forest, like pine cones, acorns and twigs.
These things put together really give the wreath a fall harvest vibe, you could even add mini pumpkins.
You could also personalize the door wreath by adding the family initials, a ‘welcome’ sign or a ‘give thanks’ sign.
The door wreaths are so easy to make, once you have your main supplies, all you have to do is schedule a crafternoon, get your glue gun ready and go!
I put on an apron, covered my workspace in paper, got the music on and started, dying my fingers orange in the process and burning my finger on the glue gun – but it was all worth it.
I ended up making two front door wreaths, one was small and the other medium sized.
I had more than enough potpourri and pine cones to make at least three wreaths, so I decided to make a smaller one too.
The orange colours just shout out ‘autumn’ and look great mixed with orange twine, and the wooden wreath base.
Fall Door Wreaths
Once you have your supplies and workspace ready, all you need to do is plan a little for the pine cones if you are using those, as they will not stay in place with the glue.
I used jewellery making wire to secure the pine cones into place and anything else that was large.
The smaller items will stay in place with the glue from the hot glue gun, I used leaves as a base if they would not stay in place.
Door Wreath DIY
Take a look at the easy printable instructions below and plan your own autumn door wreath.
Super easy and quick to make, the results are worth it and with any leftover supplies you can make them to give as gifts to your friends, family or neighbours!
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- Wooden wreath base
- Pine cones
- Wire (jewellery making wire)
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue gun sticks
- Pliers (to cut the wire) or scissors
- Empty out the supplies and plug in the hot glue gun.
- Decide where you want the twine to go (for hanging and tie into place at what will be the top of your wreath.
- Decide where you want to place the pine cones, tie wire around the base of the pine cone and secure to the wreath.
- Repeat that until you have evenly spaced pine cones around the wreath.
- Start gluing the other items around the wreath in between the pine cones.
- Use any leaves as a base for other items if they will not glue to the wreath base.
- Build up the items as you go and add in textured, coloured objects.
- When you have filled in the wreath, check back over for any gaps you have missed.
- Hold the wreath by the twine and see if any items need to be added in the spaces you can see - keep building it up until you are happy with it.
- Once finished, remove any glue threads left and hand for a little while until all of the glue is totally dry.
- After that it will be ready to hang on your front door or wherever you wan it to go!
Obviously be careful with the hot glue gun, it may seem small but it can burn you really easily!
Any supplies can be used for this, including found objects from the garden or forest floor.
12 IN. GRAPEVINE WREATHS
Pausseo 6Pcs/Set Small Pine Cone Pendant Set Merry Christmas Ornament Natural Baubles Party Xmas Tree Decorations Hanging Pendant Party Decoration Party Gift Festival Art Home Decor Kit (C)
Old Candle Barn Pumpkin Spice Potpourri Large Bag - Perfect Fall Decoration or Bowl Filler - Beautiful Autumn Scent
LOKIPA 328 Feet Natural Jute Twine for Arts and Crafts Jute Rope Christmas Gift Packing String for Gardening String Natural Rustic String Gift wrap Twine
Artistic Wire-Colored Wire, 24 Gauge 10 Yards/Pkg, Natural Non-Tarnish Silver
Hot Glue Gun, WEIO Upgrated 25W Mini Hot Melt Glue Gun Rapid Heating Tech with 25pcs Glue Sticks Glue Gun Kit Flexible Trigger for DIY Arts, Craft Projects, Sealing and Quick Repair, Free Finger Caps
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the fall door wreath, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Making! xoxo