In this post, you will see a striped kids’ cowl knitting pattern.
Making a kid’s cowl with stripes is an easy project for advanced beginners.
The knitted cowl pattern for a toddler or young child is easy to follow and knit on circular needles.
Please scroll down to view the free printable pattern.
Easy Skill Level
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are casting on, casting off, and knitting in the round.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
Put on your favorite show, get out those needles, and knit a cozy cowl in contrasting colors.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This simple cowl pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters, as it uses a super bulky yarn weight.
You need less than one skein of yarn for each color, and the pattern instructions tell you when to change colors.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to kit two stitches together – K2tog.
Chunky Cowl Knitting Pattern
This quick knit project is a great stash buster and can be easily adapted for other sizes.
It’s a simple cowl knit on circular knitting needles and not straight needles, this means there is no seaming or sewing.
Knit one for warmth with a simple texture, make a striking cowl for a friend or family member, or even to give it as a last-minute gift.
- Super bulky yarn 06 x 3 different colours.
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in >
- 1 x Fisherman
- 1 x Sky Blue
- 1 x Navy
- Size 10 mm (US 15) 24″ circular knitting needles.
- Darning needle
- Tape measure.
- Cast on 50 sts.
- Start with color A and knit every round until the piece measures 3.5 inches.
- Change to yarn color B and knit in this color for another 3.5 inches. (Total length = 7 inches)
- Change to yarn color C and knit another 3.5 inches. (Total length = 10.5 inches)
- Cast off.
- Sew in any loose ends.
This knitted kids cowl will fit ages – 3-5 years old.
Gauge - 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the cowl, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.