Make a newborn prop hat with this easy pattern!
The newborn hat is knit in the round, with a longer length added to the crown, so that it can be knotted when complete.
Newborn props can often be expensive and if you are providing them for a photo shoot for your new baby or you are a newborn photographer, then you can easily make a few props with my free knitting patterns.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are casting on, casting off, and knit and purl stitches.
It will also introduce you to shaping, through simple increases and decreases.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- 2 balls of Rico Baby So Soft in cream (02) knit with 2 strands together.
- Any medium weight yarn/worsted/aran knit with 2 strands together.
- An alternative - any super bulky weight yarn.
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circular knitting needles.
- You may also need a set of 9mm (US 13) Double pointed needles for the decreases.
- Stitch markers
- Tape measure
- Darning needle
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months). Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
- Knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- All sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- When you have around 18 sts left on the needles, continue knitting until the length of the piece from the top of the hat to the end measures 10″. you can extend or shorten this to how you want it to look.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from* around.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Then tie a knot at the end of the hat.
- Finishing: Sew in loose ends.
Please note >
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.