Make an easy crochet mug cosy with this easy pattern for beginners.
The pattern requires basic crochet knowledge, creating a chain and using double crochet for each stitch.
I made this using cotton yarn in two colours and a 4 mm (US G/6) hook. I chose neutral coloured cotton from Rico yarn, in nature (white) and clay (brown).
I then added a square cut wooden button to fasten the cosy around the mug. You can, of course, us any colour combinations and buttons.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginners.
- You should be comfortable making a slip knot and creating a chain.
- You should be comfortable working single crochet.
- You should be comfortable working double crochet.
- You should also be comfortable reading crochet patterns.
- And understanding crochet abbreviations and terms.
- 1 x Rico Cotton Aran in nature
- 1 x Rico Cotton Aran in Clay
- 4 mm (US G/6) Crochet Hook
- Darning needle
Yarn A – Nature / Yarn B – Clay
- With yarn A ch 56 (measure against your chosen cup to see if you need more or less)
- Round 1 > Work 1 dc into each ch
- Round 2 > Change to yarn B, 1 dc into every dc, ch 2, turn
- Round 3 > Rep round 2
- Round 4 > Change to yarn A, 1 dc into every dc
- Please note > Measure your own cup to see if the length is suitable, you may need to add extra rows if your cup is larger etc.
- Cut yarn and secure.
- Stitch a button into the place where you want and sew in any loose ends.
The pattern is written using US crochet terms and abbreviations.
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
rep – repeat
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the pattern, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!