This striped beanie would make a great holiday accessory for visiting friends or family photographs!
Knit on 4mm circular needles, this hat is a really easy knit, using stocking stitch throughout the pattern.
This holiday hat pattern will introduce you to shaping and decreasing, as well as using basic knit and purl stitches.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
The Striped Hat Knitting Pattern
The hat knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Adult woman
The Supplies You Need
- 1 x 50g double knit yarn in red (Lion Brand Cotton 24/7)
- 1 x 50g double knit yarn in white (Lion Brand Cotton 24/7)
- Yarn weight guide
- 4mm (US 6) 16″ circular knitting needles
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
Yarn A – Red / Yarn B – White
- Cast on 80sts (adult size) for a child cast on 72sts in Yarn A (red).
- Place a stitch marker at the join and be careful not to twist.
- Begin with the Yarn A – red yarn and knit every round until it measures 1 inch.
- Then join in the white yarn – Yarn B to begin next stripe.
- Each stripe measures 1 inch.
- Knit every round in the white yarn – Yarn B for 1 inch.
- Join in the red yarn – Yarn A and knit every round for 1 inch.
- Cont to do this until the hat measures 11 inches from the cast-on edge (adult) or 10 inches (child) then start to decrease.
- Decrease –
- Round 1 – K2TOG – rep to the end of the round.
- Repeat the decrease round until you can no longer work in the round.
- Cut the yarn and leaving a 7-inch tail, using your darning needle, threading through remaining stitches, pull tight and secure top of the hat.
- Then weave in all ends.
Add a pom to the top of the hat, stitching into place.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the beanie, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo