Make a cosy knitted hat with this children’s hat knitting pattern.
This hat is really warm and squishy, made with Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in two fall colours.
The pattern is really easy to make up and will be great for any beginner knitters.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Children’s Hat Knitting Pattern
Skill Level – Easy
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
This hat pattern was made for size – 4 to 12 years.
Circumference = 20-21″
Length w/o pom = 8.5″
The Supplies You Need
- 2 balls (or skeins) of super bulky yarn
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Wheat (402) and spice (135) or something similar suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular knitting needles.
- You may also need a set of 10mm (US 15) double-pointed knitting needles (DPNs) for the decreases.
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom pom maker – Clover Large – 3 3/8 inch
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
Yarn A – Wheat / Yarn B – Spice
- Cast on > 36 sts in Yarn A, pm and join in the round, being careful not to twist the sts.
- K2, P2 for 2.5″
- Change to Yarn B and knit 1 round.
- 1st round: K2, P2
- 2nd Round: Knit
- Repeat the above until the work measures 8″ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows > (You may the DPNs now)
- K2tog* Repeat to the end of the round.
- Knit to the end of the round.
- K1 then k2tog, repeat to 2 / 1 sts before the end of the round.
- K2, K1, K2, K1, K2.
- Cut yarn and pull tight to secure.
- Sew in all ends
- Make a pom to stitch on the top of the hat in Yarn A.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo