Make a cozy knitted hat with this children’s hat knitting pattern.
This hat is really warm and squishy, made with Lion Brand wool-ease thick and quick in two fall colors.
Please scroll down to view the free pattern or purchase a printer-friendly ad-free PDF in my shop here.
An Easy-Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches to create ribbing, you will also complete simple decreases to shape the top of the hat.
If you have never knit in the round before using circular needles you can watch my video tutorial here.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This beanie pattern for kids is excellent for any advanced beginner knitters.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to kit two stitches together – K2tog.
- How to knit in the round.
Children’s Hat Knitting Pattern
Skill Level – Easy
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute, or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
This hat pattern was made for sizes – 4 to 12 years.
Circumference head = 20-21″
Length w/o pom = 8.5″
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need
- 2 balls (or skeins) of super bulky yarn
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Wheat (402) and spice (135) or something similar suitable for size 10.00 mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards
- Set of 10.00 mm (US 15) 16″/40 cm circular knitting needles.
- You may also need a set of 10 mm (US 15) double-pointed knitting needles (DPNs) for the decreases.
- Approx – Approximately
- Beg – Begin(ning)
- Cont – Continue(ing)
- K – Knit
- K2tog – Knit the next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
Yarn A – Wheat / Yarn B – Spice
Cast on 36 sts (long tail) in Yarn A, pm, and join in the round, being careful not to twist the sts.
K2, P2 for 2.5″
Change to Yarn B and knit 1 round.
1st round: K2, P2
2nd Round: Knit
Repeat the above until the work measures 8″ from the cast on edge.
Decrease as follows > (You may the DPNs now)
K2tog* Repeat to the end of the round.
Knit to the end of the round.
K1 then k2tog, repeat to 2 / 1 sts before the end of the round.
K2, K1, K2, K1, K2.
Cut yarn and pull tight to secure.
Sew in all ends
Make a pom pom (or use faux fur pompoms) and stitch it/seam to the top of the hat in Yarn A.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.