Make a kids cowl with this free knitting pattern.
The cozy cowl is really great for any beginners out there, as it uses basic knit (garter stitch) throughout.
You can use any super bulky weight yarn and large knitting needles (Needle size 10mm/US 15).
Please scroll down to view the free pattern and to grab your free printer-friendly ad-free PDF.
Basic Skill Level
The simple cowl pattern is easy to follow, knit flat on straight needles and then seamed.
You could also adapt the pattern and use circular knitting needles if that is your preference.
This easy cowl knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for practicing garter stitch (basic knit stitches) on large needles.
The neck warmer size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipient’s neck/shoulders and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This chunky knit cowl pattern is excellent for any beginner knitter.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to kit two stitches together – K2tog.
Kids Cowl (Free Cowl Knitting Pattern)
Skill Level – Basic (Beginner)
Make a gift using only one skein of yarn for a little one in your life or donate.
This cowl will definitely give the wearer extra warmth and can be made in their favorite color.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute, or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
This knitted kid’s cowl will fit ages – 3-5 years old.
Length – 32 inches / 82 cm
Width – 6 inches / 16 cm
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rows = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need
- Super bulky yarn/super chunky yarn/14-Ply.
- 1 x skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in sky blue.
- Size 10 mm (US 15) knitting needles (straight)
- You can use circular needles if you wish but the pattern is to kit the piece flat.
- Beg – Begin(ning)
- Cont – Continue(ing)
- K – Knit
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- Cast on 38 sts.
- Knit all stitches until the piece measures 6 inches.
- Cast off.
- Sew the seams together using the mattress stitch.
- Sew in any loose ends.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the knitting project, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.