Make a warm ribbed hat for your little one with this kids bobble hat pattern.
This chunky kids hat is so warm and cosy that I just had to get a pattern out there for you guys to make.
It is so comfy it will definitely keep your kid warm during fall and winter.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
The Yarn I Used…
I made the hat using a super bulky weight (06) yarn.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn.
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Kids Bobble Hat Pattern
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm.
This hat pattern was made for size – 4 to 12 years.
Circumference = 20-21″Length w/o pom = 8.5″
The Supplies You Need
- 1 ball (or skein) of super bulky yarn (Lion Brand Hometown in Chicago Charcoal (150) or something similar) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Yarn weight guide
- 1 ball (or skein) (or enough scrap yarn) for the pom pom.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 36 sts, pm and join in the round, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to the end of the round.
- Repeat the above until the work measures 8″ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog* Repeat all around.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a large pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo