Make a warm ribbed hat for your little one with this kids hat pattern.
This chunky kids hat is so warm and cosy that I just had to get a pattern out there for you guys to make.
It is so comfy it will definitely keep your kid warm during fall and winter.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Easy Hat Pattern
It knits up fast too, using ribbing and has a huge pom stitched to the top of the hat.
This is an advanced beginner knitting pattern, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, and k2tog as well as knitting in the round, using either circular needles or double-pointed needles (DPN’s).
Photography > Thanks to Freckled Fawn Photography for the images! / Insta > lifewithmygrace
Children’s Beanie Pattern
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing and then for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Purchase the inexpensive printable, ad-free pattern here.
Skill Level – Advanced beginner
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
You are welcome to sell items knit from this pattern, I just ask that you give pattern credit to Handy Little Me and link to www.handylittleme.com in any listings. Thank you!
Gauge – 2st/1″
This hat pattern was made for size – 4 to 12 years.
Circumference = 20-21″Length w/o pom = 8.5″
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- 1 ball (or skein) of super bulky yarn (Lion Brand Hometown in Chicago Charcoal (150) or something similar) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards / yarn weight guide
- 1 ball (or skein) (or enough scrap yarn) for the pom pom.
- I used Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Fisherman (099).
- Cast on > 36 sts, pm and join in the round, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to the end of the round.
- Repeat the above until the work measures 8″ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog* Repeat all around.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a large pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo