Make a warm ribbed hat for your little one with this kid’s bobble hat pattern.
This chunky kids’ hat is so warm and cozy that I just had to get a pattern out there for you folks to make.
It is so comfy it will definitely keep your kid warm during fall and winter.
Please scroll down to view the free pattern or purchase a printer-friendly ad-free PDF in my shop here.
An Easy-Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy children’s hat pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, you will also complete simple decreases to shape the top of the hat.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
The Yarn I Used…
I made the knitted hat using a super bulky weight (06) yarn.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn.
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to kit two stitches together – K2tog.
- How to knit in the round.
Kids Bobble Hat Pattern
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
This would make a great gift and can be made in lots of different colors.
This classic hat is knit from the bottom up in 2×2 ribbing.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute, or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4 in/10 cm.
This slouchy hat pattern was made for sizes – 4 to 12 years.
Head circumference = 20-21″Length w/o pom = 8.5″
The Supplies You Need
- 1 ball (or skein) of super bulky yarn (Lion Brand Hometown in Chicago Charcoal (150) or something similar) suitable for size 10.00 mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight/super chunky yarn/14-Ply.
- Yarn weight guide
- 1 ball (or skein) (or enough scrap yarn) for the pom pom.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx – Approximately
- Beg – Begin(ning)
- Cont – Continue(ing)
- K – Knit
- K2tog – Knit the next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 36 sts, pm and join in the round, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to the end of the round.
- Repeat the above until the work measures 8″ from the cast-on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog* Repeat all around.
- Break yarn.
- Draw the end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a large pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.