In this post, you will see how to knit baby booties with easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions.
This is a basic pattern for those of you who are beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are casting on, casting off, knitting in garter stitch, decreasing through K2tog, and picking up stitches.
These baby booties are knit flat with straight needles and later seamed to finish.
If you are looking for the mustard-colored stocking stitch booties pattern you can find that pattern here.
A Basic Level Knitting Pattern
If you are learning how to knit, baby knitting patterns are great to start with before you move on to more complicated patterns that include more advanced stitch patterns and techniques.
This pattern will introduce you to shaping, through simple decreases.
You will also need to know how to pick up stitches, this is so you can complete the top of the foot part of the booties.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern tutorial*
The Yarn I Used To Knit The Baby Booties
I used Rico Creative Cotton Aran (50g/85m/93yds) for the booties in the color Patina.
It does on occasion split when you knit, like most cotton but you can fix it and make it look neat with a little patience.
This is a medium-weight yarn 04.
You can substitute with most cotton including most DK yarn that is compatible with size 4.5mm (US 7) knitting needles.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any beginner knitters.
The booties knit up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
They are knit flat on straight needles and then seamed when complete.
You may want to use more than one color – for example when you knit the top section of the booties you can change color so the top part that turns over is in a contrasting colored yarn.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Basic
- This pattern is to fit baby size 0-3 months / 3-6 months / 6-9 months.
- The first set of numbers applies to the small size, the second set to the medium size, and the third to the large size.
Gauge – 16 sts and 36 rows in 4×4 inches / 10×10 cm in garter stitch.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- Garter Stitch – Every row knit
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit the next 2 stitches together
- Rem = Remaining
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
How To Knit Baby Booties
- Cast on
With 4.5mm (US 7) knitting needles cast on 23 (27/31) sts.
- Work the top half of the bootie
Work 12 (12/14) rows in garter stitch.
- Start the top of the foot
Next row – Knit 15 (17/20) sts, turn,
- Turn for the foot
Next row – Knit 7 (7/9) sts, turn,
- Knit the top of the foot
On 7 (7/9) sts work 10(12/14) rows in garter stitch. Break the yarn.
- Pick up and knit sts
With the right side of the work facing you, rejoin the yarn to the inside edge of the 8 (10/11) sts on the right-hand needle.
Then pick up and knit 5 (7/9) sts along the side of the foot.
You can see a video tutorial to help you on my YouTube channel here.
- Knit across center sts
Then knit across the 7 (9/9) sts on the left-hand needle that form the central part of the top of the foot.
- Pick up and knit sts along the next side of the foot
Next, you will pick up and knit 5 (7/9) sts along the side of the foot.
Then knit across the remaining 8 (10/11)sts on the left-hand needle.
- Work the bottom section of the foot
Work 8 (9/11) rows in garter stitch to complete the bottom section of the foot.
- Shape the sole of the foot
Now you will shape the sole of the foot as follows:
– K2 (K2/K4), K2tog, K2tog, K8 (10/14), K2tog, K1, K2tog, K8 (10/14), K2tog, K2tog, K2 (K2/K4). 27 (33/43)sts
– Knit to the end of the row.
– K2 (K2/K4), K2tog, K2tog, K5 (7/11), K2tog, K1, K2tog, K5 (7/11), K2tog, K2tog, K2 (K2/K4). 21 (27/37)sts
– Knit to the end of the row.
– K2 (K2/K4) K2tog, K2tog, K2 (4/8), K2tog, K1, K2tog, K2 (4/8), K2tog, K2tog, K2 (K2/K4). 15 (21/31)sts
– Cast off.
- Making Up – Seaming the sole of the foot
Weave in any loose ends before you start seaming – on the inside section of the bootie.
Then seam the sole of the foot first using the mattress stitch.
- Making Up – Seaming the back of the bootie
Next, continue to seam up the back of the bootie also using the mattress stitch.
When you get to about 2 rows from the top of the bootie, seam the opposite side, so that you can turn the top of the bootie over and see a neat seam on the outside.
You can place a couple of stitches here to keep the top of the bootie rolled over.
To finish the booties, weave in any loose ends.
If you wish to add a contrasting color tie, you can sew a running stitch through the top section of the bootie, to be able to tie in a bow, so the booties will stay on.