Make your little one a pair of cotton knit booties for the warmer weather with this baby booties knitting pattern for beginners.
If you are learning how to knit, baby knitting patterns are great to start with before you move on to more complicated patterns that include cables and other advanced techniques.
These baby booties are knit flat with straight needles and later seamed to finish.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are casting on, casting off and knit and purl stitches.
It will also introduce you to shaping, through simple increases and decreases.
You will also need to know how to pick up stitches, this is so you can complete the foot part of the booties.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
The Yarn I Used To Knit The Baby Booties
I used Rico Creative Cotton Aran (50g/85m/93yds) for the booties in the color Sand (59).
It does on occasion split when you knit, like most cotton but you can fix it and make it look neat with a little patience.
This is a medium weight yarn 04.
You can substitute with most cotton including DK yarn that is compatible with size 4mm (US 6) knitting needles.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be able to knit the purl stitch.
- You should be able to knit in stockinette stitch.
- You should be comfortable picking up stitches.
- How to K2tog.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Baby Knitting Patterns
You may also be interested in these baby knits which are also made from 100% cotton:
- Baby Sweater Knitting Pattern
- Stockinette Stitch Baby Cardigan Pattern
- Garter Stitch Baby Cardigan Pattern
- Baby Hat Knitting Pattern
- Baby Blanket Knitting Pattern
- Baby Bunny Knitting Pattern
- Pom Pom Baby Booties Knitting Pattern
- Bunny Softie Knitting Pattern
Baby Booties Knitting Pattern For Beginners
You can also find this pattern in this Ebook here – 10 Baby Knitting Patterns Ebook.
The booties knit up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
They are knit flat on straight needles and then seamed when complete.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- This pattern is to fit baby size 0-3 months / 3-6 months / 6-9 months.
- The first set of numbers applies to the small size, the second set to the medium size, and the third to the large size.
Gauge – 22 sts and 36 rows in 4×4 inches / 10×10 cm in garter stitch.
The Supplies You Need
- 1 x Rico Creative Cotton Aran 50g/85m/93yds in the colour – Sand (59).
- Any medium weight yarn 04.
- Yarn weight guide
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- With 4mm (US 6) needles cast on 29 (33/37) st.
- Work 10 rows (10/12) rows stocking stitch.
- Next row – Knit 19 (22/25) sts, turn.
- Next row – Purl 9 (11/13) sts, turn.
- On 9 (11/13) sts work 14 (14/16) rows in stocking stitch.
- Break yarn.
- With right side of work facing, rejoin the yarn to the inside edge of the 10 (11/12) stitches and pick up and knit 7 (9/11) sts along the side of the foot, knit across 9 (11/13) sts on the needle, pick up and knit 7 (9/11) sts along the other side of the foot, and finally knit across the remaining 10 (11/12) sts. (Video Tutorial)
- Work 7 (9/11) rows of garter stitch, every row knit.
Shape The Foot
- Row 1 – Knit 2 sts, k2tog, knit 15 (19/23) sts, k2tog, knit 1 st, k2tog, knit 15 (19/23) sts, k2tog, knit 2 sts.
- Row 2 – Knit
- Row 3 – Knit 2 sts, k2tog, knit 13 (17/21) sts, k2tog, knit 1 st, k2tog, knit 13 (17/21) sts, k2tog, knit 2 sts.
- Row 4 – Knit
- Row 5 – Knit 2 sts, k2tog, knit 11 (15/19) sts, k2tog, knit 1 st, k2tog, knit 11 (15/19) sts, k2tog, knit 2 sts.
- Row 6 – Cast off.
- Weave in all ends along the work, not up the side, as this will cause a bumpy edge.
- Lay work out and gently steam.
- Join the heel and the foot with a flat seam.
- Roll over the top edge and stitch down the back seam with a single stitch to keep the rolled edge in position.
If you enjoyed making the booties, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!