Make your little one a cardigan for the warmer weather with this easy baby cardigan knitting pattern.
If you are learning how to knit, baby knitting patterns are great to start with before you move on to more complicated patterns that include cables and other advanced techniques.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are casting on, casting off and knit stitches.
It will also introduce you to shaping, through simple increases and decreases.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
The Yarn I Used To Knit The Baby Cardigan
I used Rico Creative Cotton Aran (50g/85m/93yds) for the cardigan in the colours Nature (60) and Clay (51).
It does on occasion split when you knit, like most cotton but you can fix it and make it look neat with a little patience.
This is a medium weight yarn 04.
You can substitute with most cotton making sure they are compatible with size 4mm (US 6) and 5.5mm (US 9) knitting needles.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable picking up stitches.
- How to K2tog.
- How to KFB.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Baby Knitting Patterns
You may also be interested in these baby knits which are also made from 100% cotton:
- Baby Sweater Knitting Pattern
- Stockinette Stitch Baby Cardigan Pattern
- Easy Baby Booties Pattern
- Baby Hat Knitting Pattern
- Baby Blanket Knitting Pattern
- Baby Bunny Knitting Pattern
- Pom Pom Baby Booties Knitting Pattern
- Bunny Softie Knitting Pattern
Chunky Baby Cardigan Knitting Pattern
You can also find this pattern in this Ebook here – 10 Baby Knitting Patterns Ebook.
The cardigan knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- This pattern is to fit baby size 0-3 months / 3-6 months / 6-9 months.
- The first set of numbers applies to the small size, the second set to the medium size and the third to the large size.
Gauge – 6 sts / 6 rows in 1 inch
The Supplies You Need
- Rico Creative Cotton Aran 50g/85m/93yds in the colours MC – Clay (51) (brown) and CC – Nature (60)
- Main Colour – 3 (4, 4) x skeins of 50g yarn (clay) suitable for 4mm (US 6)/5.5.mm (US 9) knitting needles.
- Coordinating Colour (trim) – 1 (1, 2) x skeins of 50g yarn (nature) suitable for 4mm (US 6)/5.5.mm (US 9) knitting needles.
- Any medium weight yarn 04.
- Yarn weight guide
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- Dec = Decrease (K2tog)
- Foll – Following
- Inc = Increase (KFB)
- KFB – Knit into the front and back of the stitch
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit 2 sts together
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- YF = Yarn Forward
- With 4mm (US 6) needles cast on 50 (56/62) sts.
- Work 5 rows in garter stitch.
- Change to 5.5mm (US 9) needles and work in garter stitch until the piece measures 4.75″ (5.5”/6”) from the cast-on edge.
- Shape the sleeves > Cast on 17 (19/21) sts of the beg of the next 2 rows.
- Continue until the work measures 8.25″ (9”/9.75”).
RIGHT FRONT + SLEEVE
- With 5.5mm (US 9) needles knit 30 (34/38) sts, turn and leave rem 54 (60/66) sts on a stitch holder.
- * Working on 30 (34/38) sts, knit 4 (4/6) rows straight, inc at neck edge on next and every alt row until there are 41 (46/51) sts on the needle.
- Cont straight until sleeve measures 7″ (7.5”/8”) in-depth, ending at the sleeve edge.
- Cast off 17 (19/21) sts and continue on the rem 24 (27/30) sts until work measures 16″ (17.75”/19.25”).
- Change to 4mm (US 6) needles and work in garter stitch for 5 rows.
- Cast off.
LEFT FRONT + SLEEVE
- Place 24 (26/28) sts onto a stitch holder for the back of the neck.
- Rejoin the yarn to the rem 30 (34/38) sts at neck edge, and knit to the end of the row.
- Work from * to match the right front. (See above)
- Using 4mm (US 6) needles and with the right side of the work facing you, pick up and knit stitches all up the front, neck and down the left side.
- Knit 2 rows.
- Buttonholes > Knit to last 33 (37/41) sts *yarn forward, K2tog, K5 (6/7) sts * Rep from * to * once more.
- (you can do this again if you want to add more buttons) Knit to the end.
- Knit 1 row.
- Cast off.
- Sew in all of the ends.
- Lay the pieces out flat and with the right side of the work facing, sew the sleeve and side seams together.
- Then sew on the 2 buttons that will fit into the buttonholes opposite.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the baby cardigan, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo