Make a little plush heart softie with this easy knitting pattern, then make more and leave them in places for people to find!
This piece was knit entirely flat on straight needles and then seamed. This is a great little project for using up any leftover yarns from your stash.
They can also make great Valentine’s decorations.
The pattern is easy to follow, knit flat on straight needles.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Knit Heart Pattern
You can use up leftover yarns in your stash and make lots of hearts in different colours.
The heart pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning new stitches.
If you would like to make more knitted items for the home, please take a look at the other patterns in the home knitting pattern library.
Skill Level – Easy/beginner
- 1 x 50g ball of DK Yarn
- Any leftovers from your yarn stash will do!
- Toy Stuffing
- Darning Needle
- 4mm (US 6) knitting needles
- Stitch holder
Top and base of heart
- Cast on 2 sts
- Rows 1-2 – st,st, start with a knit row
- Row 3 – knit, increasing 1 st at beg and end of row
- Row 4 – purl
- Row 5 – repeat row 3
- Row 6 – purl
- Row 7 – repeat row 3
- Row 8 – purl
- Row 9 – repeat row 3
- Row 10 – purl
- Row 11 – repeat row 3
- Row 12 – 14 – continue in st,st
- Row 15 – knit, increasing 1 st at beg and end of row
- Row 16 – 18 – cont in st,st
- Row 19 – repeat row 15
- Row 20 – Purl first 8 sts, turn and continue working on these 8 sts. Transfer others to a stitch holder.
- Row 21 – *K2tog, k4, k2tog
- Row 22 – purl
- Row 23 – K2tog, k2, k2tog
- Row 24 – purl
- Row 25 – k2tog, k2tog
- Row 26 – p2tog
- Break yarn leaving a long end. Thread through the last stitch on the needle*.
- Transfer 8 sts on stitch holder to needle and repeat from * to *.
- Side of heart
- Cast on 10 sts
- Rows 1-75 – st,st
- Cast off.
With wrong sides facing, sew the short edges of the side strip together.
Stitch the heart shaped top to the side, easing it gently into shape.
Repeat for the base, leaving a small gap for stuffing.
Turn right side out and fill with toy stuffing.
Stitch up the gap.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the heart, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo