Cast on a new project with this super cute heart baby blanket knitting pattern.
The blanket is knit in two colors with a repeated heart design in the pattern knit using the intarsia technique.
Scroll down for the free pattern or you can grab your printer-friendly, ad-free PDF here.
The Perfect Blanket For Baby Gifts
You can make one for a baby shower or for Valentine’s day in different colors.
You can also use a different yarn if you wish as long as it is the same yarn weight.
The heart blanket is an easy blanket to make once you know how to create the color changes.
An Intermediate Level Knitting Pattern
This is an intermediate-level knitting pattern for those of you who know how to knit using two colors and the intarsia technique.
The blanket is knit with a garter stitch border and the main section is knit in stocking stitch.
You will follow a chart to kit the hearts into the design working from the bottom up.
Knitting The Hearts
The technique you will use to create the hearts in the knitted fabric is called Intarsia.
This is a knitting technique that allows you to create various imagery in a different color/yarn in your project.
You can use a special joining method, which prevents your fabric from coming apart or having large gaps.
You could use the Fair Isle/stranded knitting method if you prefer, it depends on what you are comfortable with.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is for any intermediate knitters, but can also be a great way for advanced beginners to try intarsia.
Heart Baby Blanket Pattern
Skill Level – Intermediate
The knitted blanket is perfect for use as a stroller blanket or car seat blanket or a nursery decoration.
It would also make a great gift for a new mom.
This free knitting pattern knits up quite fast using two different colors of yarn and can be made in one size only.
You could use a different yarn but the yarn used produces a very soft blanket that can be machine washed at 40 degrees (no ironing or tumble drying).
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute, or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, only link to the pattern page.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Gauge – 10 x 10 cm /4 x 4 inches = 10 sts and 16 rows in garter stitch.
- Length = 30 inches / 127 cm
- Width = 35 inches / 127 cm
The Supplies You Need…
- Himalaya Dolphin Baby Chenille Yarn(100g/120m/131 yds) in the following colors:
- 1 x Pink – 80309
- 3 x White – 80363
- This yarn is available to buy from HobiumYarns.com
- Substitute yarn suggestions: Katia Bambi / King Cole Yummy / Sirdar Smudge / Red Heart Sweet Home / Bernat Baby Blanket / Cygnet Chenille Chunky
- Bulky/chunky/14 Ply yarn.
- You can change the colors to your own preference, using white hearts instead of pink.
- 7 mm (US 10.5/11) 40″ circular knitting needles.
- You do not join in the round to work – the cable of the circular needles is to accommodate a large number of stitches.
- CC – Coordinating color
- CO – Cast on
- Cont – Continue
- K – Knit
- MC – Main color
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rep – Repeat
- SM – Slip marker
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- MC – White
- CC – Pink
With MC – CO 83 sts
Rows 1-6: Knit.
- Row 7: K6, PM, K to the last 6 sts, PM, K6.
- Row 8: K6, SM, P to marker, SM, K6.
- Cont to work in stockinette stitch while working from the chart on page 5.
- When working on the chart, you will knit 6 sts at each end of the piece on every row for the border edge, slipping the markers as you work.
- You will alternate between the MC – White and the CC – Pink.
- You will read the chart from the bottom up.
- RS rows (K rows) are read right to left.
- WS rows (P rows) are read left to right.
- Once you have worked rows 7-40 once, you will then only need to repeat rows 27- 40 a further 6 times (8 hearts in a row in total).
- You can of course make this longer if you wish.
Rows 1-6: Knit.
Weave in all loose ends securely.
The chart has 5 heart patterns width-wise, which are then repeated 8 times (8 columns of hearts).
You can see that white is the main color and hot pinks are used for the coordinating color.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the blanket (a great shower gift), I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.