Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
Make a baby blankie with this easy knitting pattern. This blankie pattern is made in super soft cashmerino baby yarn by Sublime, that comes in an array of colours.
Knitting for babies is fun no matter what your skill level and this baby blankie pattern is easy for any beginners.
Knit flat, this blankie uses basic knit stitches and requires some shaping for the bunny head, with increasing and decreasing.
The baby blankie DIY is perfect for beginners and the finished item would make a great gift for a new baby.
*Scroll down for the free printable pattern*
The bunny blankie pattern is easy to follow, knitting flat with straight needles. This means that there is some seaming needed, for the bunny head and ears.
You also have to stitch the bunny head to a corner of the blankie.
The knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a quick project and great for stash busting – any yarns you have leftover from other projects can be used up for small projects like this.
If you would like to make more knitted items for baby, please take a look at the other patterns in the baby knitting pattern library.
- 1 x Sublime Baby Cashmerino 50g – Brown (Pebble 006)
- Small amount of Sublime Baby Cashmerino – Cream (Little linen 344)
- Small amount of Sublime Baby Cashmerino – Yellow (Gooseberry 004)
- Small amount of dark brown and pink yarn for the eyes and nose.
- Any light 03 yarn.
- 4mm (US 6) Knitting Needles
- Darning Needle
- Tape measure
- Fiberfill/Toy Stuffing
- Cast on 7 sts in brown yarn, P1 row
- K1, M1 to end
- Rep last 2 rows once more
- Work 3 rows in st, st
- K1, M1, K3 to end
- Work 13 rows
- K1, (K2tog) to end
- Work 5 rows (change yarn to cream yarn after 1 row)
- K1, K2tog to end
- P1 row
- Thread the needle and pull together remaining stitches. Stitch together and down seam till 1 inch has been sewn. Tie off. With dark brown yarn sew eyes and a nose/mouth. Then using pink yarn stitch into the nose a few times and tie off.
- Cast on 14 sts in brown yarn
- Knit 30 rows
- SKPO, K to last 2sts – K2tog
- Repeat last 2 rows until 2 sts remain
- K2tog and fasten off.
- Blanket Body:
- Cast on 65 sts in brown yarn
- Knit in brown yarn until piece measures 5.5 inches
- Change yarn to cream and knit till 1 inch
- Change yarn to yellow and knit for 1 inch
- Change yarn to brow and knit for 0.5 inch
- Cast off.
Stuff bunny head with toy stuffing and stitch up the seam. Sew ears onto the head, then attach the head to a corner of the knitted blanket. Make sure the head is securely fastened.
Gauge - 18 sts and 24 rows in 4×4 inches / 10 x 10cm
M1 – Make 1 stitch
K2tog – Knit two stitches together
SKPO – Slip 1 stitch, knit 1 stitch, pass slipped st over knit st
St St – Stockinette stitch (alternate between knit and purl rows)
If you enjoyed making the bunny blankie, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo