Make a baby bunny beanie with this easy to knit free pattern.
The bunny cap is knit in the round, with the ears worked flat, then stitched into place.
I find it easier to stitch them on when the hat is placed over a ball of yarn. This allows you to sew them on and see where they are equal.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Bunny-Ears Hat For Baby
This is a beginner level knitting pattern, using basic knit and purl stitches with some shaping involved.
For any help with the stitches or techniques in this pattern, please visit the knitting basics page to view video tutorials.
Bunny Beanie Pattern
Make a sweet bunny beanie with this easy free knitting pattern. The hat is made in 3 pieces – the beanie, and the two ears, needing a little bit of assembly.
The ears are folded in half before being sewn onto the hat. You can modify the pattern and make the ears longer or shorter.
I used a yarn I found in a local store here in Corfu, Greece called Alize Lanagold, I knit with two strands together to make it chunky, but any yarn that can be used with size 9mm (US 13) needles will be fine.
A good substitute is Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or Lion Brand Hometown.
Just look at this cutie wearing his Easter Bunny Hat, what an absolute star!
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
Thank you for your support!
If you are making this hat for a newborn photography session you may also be interested in the other hat patterns I have in the baby knitting section.
There is a range of patterns including; holiday hats, bear bonnets and simple newborn caps.
- 2 balls of Alize Lanagold yarn in white (55) knit with 2 strands together - suitable for size 9.00mm (US 13) needles.
- Lion Brand hometown or something similar will also be ok.
- Any super bulky yarn.
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circulars
- Set of 9mm (US 13) straight needles
- Stitch markers
- Tape measure
- Darning needle
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months).
- Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
- Knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Both sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Sew in any loose ends.
- Decrease as follows:
- Row 1: (knit 1, k2tog) to the end of the row, K1 (27 stitches)
- Row 2: Purl
- Row 3: (k2tog) repeat across the row, to the last stitch, K1 (14 stitches)
- Row 4: Purl
- Cut a long “tail” of yarn. Thread all the remaining stitches onto the “tail”, and pull tight.
- Fold the bonnet in half, with the right sides facing and stitch down the seam for approx 4cm (11 ½ inches)
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make in a variety of colours and experiment with different yarns.
Bunny Ears > Make 2
- Using 9mm straight needles cast on 18 sts, leaving a tail of around 12 inches to stitch the ear to the hat.
- Knit every row until piece measures 13 inches.
- Row 1: K2tog, knit to last stitch, K2tog
- Row 2; Knit.
- Continue with the two rows above until you have 2 sts left
- K2tog, cut yarn and thread through.
- Pull yarn tight and stitch in the loose ends.
- Make a second ear to match.
The ears should be folded in half and then stitched onto the hat.
Fold the hat in half and stitch the ears to either side.
Alternatively, you could also use a small ball or a ball of yarn to place your hat onto, then see where you want to stitch the ears.
Please note >
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Bunny Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the bunny hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo