Make a bunny hat this Easter for your little ones to look super cute in with this easy to knit free pattern.
These hats are so popular and I have made and sold many in my Etsy shop over the years.
You can make the hat in various colours from white, grey and brown to brights or pastels shades – anything goes!
Scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable, ad-free PDF file HERE
Don’t forget to pin and share!
Baby Bunny Hat
The baby hat is knit in the round, with the ears worked flat, then stitched into place.
I find it easier to stitch them on when the hat is placed over a ball of yarn or another prop that is the same size as a babies head.
This allows you to sew them on and see where they are equal.
They can be stitched onto the hat using a simple stitch, making sure they are secure.
This is a beginner level knitting pattern, using basic knit and purl stitches with some shaping involved.
For any help with the stitches or techniques in this pattern, please visit the knitting basics page to view video tutorials.
You can also choose from many more patterns in the baby knitting library.
You may also be interested in these free patterns;
- 10 Easy Easter Knits
- Easter Bunny Knitting Pattern
- Bunny Ears Headband DIY
- Baby Bunny Hat
- Bunny Slippers Knitting Pattern
- Easter Bunny Egg Cozy Pattern
The hat is made in 3 pieces – the beanie, which is knit in the round and the two ears, that are knit flat and then stitched onto the hat.
The ears are knit in garter stitch and are folded in half before being sewn onto the hat.
You can also modify the pattern to make the ears longer or shorter.
Easter Bunny Hat
The bunny hats are so cute on little ones and can be great for any parties they have or to wear during the Easter holiday.
They are also great for any newborn photography sessions you may have set up in spring.
It can be hard to find Easter hats for little ones and this pattern is so easy you can make them for friends and family too!
For this pattern, I have used many different brands of super bulky yarn, including Yarn Art Alpine Alpaca and Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick.
I also like the Lion Brand Hometown yarn and Alize Lanagold Maxi.
You can experiment with yarns and textures – a fluffy textured yarn like a boucle would also work really well.
The white hat in the photo below was made with an alpaca blend, so has a more fluffy texture, whereas the brown hat was made with a wool/acrylic blend, so has more stretch.
Purchase the printable, ad-free pattern here.
Skill Level – Easy/beginner
- Super Bulky Yarn 06 – suitable for size 9.00mm (US 13) needles.
- 170g – Lion Brand wool-ease thick and quick or something similar.
- yarn weight guide
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Tape measure
- Darning needle
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months).
- Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
- Knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 months only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Both sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
Bunny Ears > Make 2
- Using 9mm needles cast on 18 sts, leaving a tail of around 12 inches to stitch the ear to the hat.
- Knit every row until piece measures 13 inches.
- Row 1: K2tog, knit to last stitch, K2tog
- Row 2; Knit.
- Continue with the two rows above until you have 2 sts left
- K2tog, cut yarn and thread through.
- Pull yarn tight and stitch in the loose ends.
- Make a second ear to match.
The ears should be folded in half and then stitched onto the hat.
Fold the hat in half and stitch the ears to either side.
Alternatively, you could also use a small ball or a ball of yarn to place your hat onto, then see where you want to stitch the ears.
This bunny hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
You are welcome to sell items knit from this pattern, I just ask that you give pattern credit to Handy Little Me and link to www.handylittleme.com in any listings. Thank you!
Please note > Size
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.