This easy newborn hat pattern is perfect for advanced beginners and can be made in larger sizes for babies up to 24 months.
This newborn hospital hat is really easy to make and doesn’t take very long.
Knit in the round, this hat uses basic knit stitches and requires some decreasing.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
More Baby Knitting Patterns
You may also be interested in these baby knits:
Newborn Hat Pattern
Skill Level – Easy
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for a larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Gauge – 2 sts/4 rows in 1 inch
The Supplies You Need
- 2 balls of Rico Essentials Cotton DK in beige (91) – knit with 2 strands together.
- Any medium-weight yarn / DK yarn knit with 2 strands together.
- Or a super bulky weight yarn if you want a warmer hat.
- 9.00mm (US 13) 16′′ circular knitting needles
- You may also need a set of 9 (US 13) Double pointed needles for the decreases.
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape Measure
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months).
- Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
- Knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Both sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Sew in any loose ends.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the newborn hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.