Make your kids hop with excitement to breakfast with this Easter bunny egg cozy!
The pattern is really easy and fast to make up – so you can make more than one if you want to before Easter.
The egg warmer is super soft with big squishy floppy bunny ears.
This lil’ bunny will fit over your egg and egg cup comfortably and look super cute while doing it!
Every Easter time the bunnies come out and want to play, making great gifts for children, family and friends.
If you want to make more bunnies then you will fall in love with another free pattern I have for a floppy ear bunny.
A Novelty Egg Cosy
I don’t know if any of you have a collection of egg cups stashed away, but we seem to have a box full.
But I don’t have any egg cozies to go with them, this is where the pattern comes in handy.
Not only are they (a little bit?) practical but they look cute and if you do a special Easter breakfast for the kids then they will fit right in!
Easter Bunny And Eggs
My friend always makes an Easter breakfast for her kids, with Cadbury’s egg nests, creme eggs (plenty of chocolate on the menu!), and handmade Easter-themed decorations too.
This fluffy bunny egg cozy will fit right in, made in traditional colors or in your own color choices.
Surrounded by novelty egg cups, chocolate eggs, painted eggs, and more, this holiday will be an explosion of color in your home!
Making The Bunny Egg Cosy
The cozy is made in three pieces, the head (main piece) which fits over the egg, and two Easter bunny ears.
All of the pieces are knit flat and then seamed and stitched into place.
The yarn I used was Sirdar Snuggly Snowflake Chunky in milky and pink.
This is a great yarn to work with and can be used for so many baby and kids projects.
The texture is so soft and squishy so would be awesome for hats, blankets, and toys.
A Fluffy Bunny Tail?
You could also add a small fluffy pom tail to the back of the bunny body if you wish.
I was going to and then forgot…
I do think a fluffy tail would look awesome though!
You could do this by creating a small pom pom from the same yarn and stitching it into place on the back piece.
- 1 x Sirdar Snuggly Snowflake Chunky 25g - Milky 630
- 1 x Sirdar Snuggly Snowflake Chunky 25g - Pink 644
- Scraps of black for the eyes and mouth.
- 7mm (US 6.5) Knitting needles
- Tape measure
- Darning needle
Yarn A - Milky / Yarn B - Pink
- With Yarn A CO 16 sts
- Knit stocking stitch (knit one row, purl one row) until the piece measures 2 inches, ending with a purl row.
- *K2tog, k4, repeat from * till the end, K1
- *K2tog, K3, repeat from * till end
- *K2tog, K2, repeat from * till last 3 sts, K1, K2tog
- K2tog across.
- Break off yarn leaving a 7-inch length.
- Thread the 7-inch length onto a sewing needle, draw it through all stitches on the knitting needle.
- Pull tightly. Fold right sides together and sew the seam with the 7-inch length of yarn.
- Weave in loose ends.
- Turn right side out.
- With Yarn A - CO 4 sts
- Work 15 rows in st, st, dec (K2tog) at each end of row 15.
- Change to Yarn B and purl one row.
- Inc (KFB) into the first and last st in row 2.
- Cont to knit in st, st for 13 more rows.
- Cast off.
- Stitch the side seam on the bunny headpiece and sew in any loose ends.
- Stitch the eyes, nose, and mouth on the face where you want them to go.
- Stitch the bunny ears side seams together, using an invisible seam.
- Fold the ears at the bottom and put a couple of sts in to hold into place, then stitch the ears onto the top of the bunny head.
- You may want to place the bunny onto an egg/egg cup to do this, so you can see where you want them to go.
- Weave in all loose ends.
This fluffy bunny egg cosy knits up quickly in textured yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
You are welcome to sell items knit from this pattern, I just ask that you give pattern credit to Handy Little Me and link to www.handylittleme.com in any listings. Thank you!
It's hard to see with the type of yarn it is, so this is a guestimate!
4 sts in 6 rows in 1 inch
Height = 5 inches (from top of the ears to bottom of the head)
Width = 4 inches
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- Dec = Decrease
- Inc = Increase
- K = Knit
- KFB - Knit into the front and back of the stitch (to increase)
- K2tog = Knit 2 sts together
- P = Purl
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- St St = stocking stitch – knit 1 row, purl 1 row
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the pattern, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.