In this post, you will see a bunny tea cosy pattern.
The tea cosy is knit flat in two pieces, then stitched together leaving openings for the spout and handle.
The ears, mouth/nose, eyes, and fluffy pom tail are all stitched on separately.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy cozy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl and k2tog.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, the basic knitting stitches, will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
Bunny Tea Cosy Pattern
Skill Level – Easy
This bunny tea cosy pattern is knit in two pieces and stitched together to leave openings for the handle and spout.
It will make a special gift for Easter egg hunts, or for a lovely birthday party.
You need basic knitting skills and tension to make this easy tea cozy.
The beauty of this easy knitting pattern is that you can use up oddments of yarns from other projects if you have leftover super bulky yarn in your stash.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Size – To fit the circumference of the teapot 18 inches (a 4-cup tea pot).
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rows = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need
- 2 x Sirdar softy 50g (cream or beige) must be super bulky yarn 06.
- Knitting needles: 9 mm (US – 13)
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch large.
- Felt scraps for the eyes and nose/mouth
- Sewing thread
- K – knit
- P – purl
- Sts – stitches
- Garter stitch – every row knit
- K2tog – knit the next 2 stitches together
- Skpo – slip one stitch, knit one stitch, pass slipped stitch over knit st
Bunny body – make 2 pieces
- Using 9 mm (US 13) needles and your chunky yarn choice cast on 28sts.
- Work in st st until piece measures 1-inch beg and ending with a purl row.
- Next row – K2tog, K4 – repeat across row
- K2tog, K3 – repeat across row
- K2tog, K2 – repeat across row
- K2tog across row
- Break off yarn and bind off. Leave a 7-inch tail length.
- Work the two fronts following the same pattern.
Make 2 pieces >
- Using the same chunky yarn – cast on 6 sts (Leave a 7 or 8-inch length tail as you will need this later)
- Knit 12 rows
- Skpo knit to last 2 stitches K2tog
- Repeat last 2 rows until you have 2 stitches left.
- Cast off and secure.
Pom tail decoration >
I used a pom maker to make the tail.
Making Up >
- Cut eyes, a nose, and mouth from felt and stitch into place on the front side of your tea cosy.
- Stitch the pom tail onto the back.
- itch the tea cosy body pieces together, leaving gaps in the side seams for the handle and spout of the teapot.
- Attach the ears on either side of the head at the top of the cosy.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the bunny tea cosy, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
Happy Knitting! xoxo