In this post, you will see an easy baby blanket knitting pattern.
The blanket is knit with a really great beginner stitch pattern called the broken rib stitch.
I made this blanket in pink chenille yarn, making it warm, soft and snuggly for baby.
Scroll down for the free pattern or you can grab your printer-friendly ad-free PDF here.
A Basic Level Knitting Pattern
This is a basic pattern for those of you who are just learning how to knit.
The techniques you will need to know are casting on, casting off, working garter stitch and the purl stitch.
This pattern is the baby version of my Easy Squishy Knit Throw Blanket Pattern.
You may also be interested in these baby knits:
- Corner To Corner Baby Blanket Knitting Pattern
- Baby Sweater Knitting Pattern
- Baby Cardigan Pattern
- Baby Hat Knitting Pattern
- Easy Baby Booties Knitting Pattern
The Yarn I Used To Knit The Baby Blanket
To knit the blanket I used a baby soft chenille yarn – Himalaya Dolphin Baby.
This yarn is available to purchase form Hobium Yarns online and they have an array of colors to choose from.
I used a bright pink shade for this blanket.
This yarn can be a little tricky to work with, especially when you sew the ends in – you get fluff and bits poking out here and there.
You can substitute this yarn with any one of the following:
- Katia Bambi
- King Cole Yummy
- Sirdar Smudge
- Red Heart Sweet Home
- Bernat Baby Blanket
- Cygnet Chenille Chunky
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any beginners.
- Knitting Lessons
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting the purl stitch.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Easy Baby Blanket Knitting Pattern
The blanket knits up in a simple broken rib stitch pattern and the design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Basic
- Width – 50″/127cm
- Length – 50″/127cm
Gauge – 10 x 10 cm /4 x 4 inches = 9 sts and 18 rows in broken rib stitch.
The Supplies You Need
- Himalaya Dolphin Baby Chenille Yarn(100g/120m/131 yds) in the following colors:
- 6 x Pink – 80309
- This yarn is available to buy from HobiumYarns.com
- Substitute yarn suggestions: Katia Bambi / King Cole Yummy / Sirdar Smudge / Red Heart Sweet Home / Bernat Baby Blanket / Cygnet Chenille Chunky
- Super Bulky 06
- Yarn weight guide
- 7 mm (US 10.5/11) 40″ circular knitting needles.
- You do not join in the round to work – the cable is to accommodate a large number of stitches.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- CO – Cast on
- Cont – Continue
- K – Knit
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rep – Repeat
- RS – Right Side
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- SM – Slip Marker
- WS – Wrong Side
CO 111 sts
- Rows 1-10: Knit
Next start the broken rib stitch pattern
- Row 11: (RS) Knit
- Row 12: (WS) K 10 (edge), PM, P1, *K1, P1 – rep from * to last 10 sts, PM, K 10 (edge).
- Row 13: (RS) Knit
- Row 14: (WS) K 10 (edge), SM, P1, *K1, P1 – rep from * to last 10 sts, SM, K 10 (edge).
The two rows above form the pattern.
Rep rows 13 and 14 until you have completed around 48 inches in length.
Knit 10 rows in garter stitch (every row knit) to complete the bottom border section of the blanket.
Cast off loosely.
Weave in all loose ends.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the blanket, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the Handylittleme Facebook group and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo