Fair Isle Hat Knitting PatternTHIS ARTICLE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS THAT SUPPORT HANDY LITTLE ME CONTENT AND FREE PATTERNS.
This fair isle hat pattern is an excellent project for anyone who is learning how to knit in the round.
I wanted to share with you an easy hat to knit, that has two colours and a holiday vibe!
This hat is perfect for the colder weather, as it has been knit with super bulky yarn.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
There is also stranded colourwork in the pattern, this means that you will knit with more than one colour.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
What Is Fair Isle Knitting?
Fair Isle knitting, which also known more accurately as stranded knitting, is a technique for working two (or more) colours of yarn in the same row.
The colour changes in Fair Isle are close together, as this allows you to simply carry the yarn you aren’t knitting with across the back of the piece as you go.
You will pick up each strand as you need it and this leaves a strand of yarn on the inside of the work.
- Fair Isle knitting is pretty easy to do and in this case, makes a nice warm knitted hat because all those strands of yarn add extra bulk and warmth.
- Stranded knitting is often worked in the round, and it’s even easier to do that way than flat.
The Yarn I Used…
I made the beanie hat using two yarns the first was 1 skein of super bulky yarn – Yarn Art Alpine Alpaca in red.
I also used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn in fisherman 099 for the coordinating colour and for the pom-pom.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn from the red and scraps of the fisherman (white).
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Hat Patterns
If you would like to make more knitted items/hats for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
There are also hat patterns for women, men, baby and kids in the hat pattern library.
You may also like these free patterns for adult-sized hats:
- Classic Ribbed Hat Pattern
- Easy beginner hat pattern
- The Sofia Hat Knitting Pattern
- The Alexia Hat Knitting Pattern
The Fair Isle Hat Pattern
Grab the inexpensive ad-free, PDF printable pattern in my shop here.
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Adult woman
- Height w/o pom = 8.5 inches / Width (flat and unstretched) = 9 inches
- To fit a head with circumference size – around 22-26 inches.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 skein or scraps of super bulky yarn – white (LionBrand wool ease thick and quick in fisherman) – you don’t need a full skein of this, just enough for the accent color and the pom pom.
- 1 skein of super bulky yarn – Red – Yarn Art Alpine Alpaca.
- Suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super Bulky/Super Chunky/14 Ply.
- Yarn weight guide
Yarn Substitute List
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick
- Lion Brand Hometown USA
- Rowan Big Wool
- Bernat Softee Chunky
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Super Chunky
- Paintbox Yarns Wool Mix Super Chunky
- MillaMia Naturally Super Soft Super Chunky
- King Cole Big Value Super Chunky
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- M1 = Make one stitch
- P = Purl
- PM = Place marker
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
Yarn A – Red / Yarn B – White
- Cast on > 38 sts in Yarn A, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: *K1, P1* every round to form 1×1 ribbing.
- Cont to knit in rib until the work measures 2 inches from the co edge.
- Next row: M1 stitch and knit the round / so you now have 39 sts.
- Next row: (Add in Yarn B) *Knit 2 Yarn A, Knit 1 Yarn B / add in the accent colour by knitting normally and knit those stitches loosely so that when the hat is worn, those stitches don’t get lost in the fabric.
- Knit 2 rounds Yarn A*
These three rounds from * to * form the pattern – continue until the hat measures 8 inches from the cast-on edge.
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * to the end of the round, K1.
- 2nd rnd: Knit to the end of the round.
- 3rd rnd: *K2tog. Rep to the end of the round.
Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a pom pom and securely fasten it to the top of the hat.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo