In this post, you will see a Christmas stocking knitting pattern that is a quick knit project.
This holiday stocking is knit with super bulky yarn, so can fit many little gifts inside and create special memories.
Scroll down to view the step-by-step pattern or grab your inexpensive ad-free PDF here.
To make this stocking you need to be able to knit in the round using circular needles or DPNs (double pointed needles).
Christmas is the perfect time to make your own Holiday stockings and have lots and lots of festive fun filling them up with little gifts and surprises.
Making handmade Christmas stockings to decorate your home could be just the project you need to get into the holiday spirit.
Make Your Own Chunky Christmas Stocking
The best thing about handmade decorations is that they can be personalized and used again year after year.
This is an easy-level pattern, so if you are an advanced beginner and haven’t knit socks before, this pattern will be great for you!
It is really quick and easy to make, knit in the round with size 10mm needles (US 15), and uses super bulky yarn (06).
How do you knit a Christmas stocking?
In order to knit this Christmas stocking, you will need 1 ball of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman and a pair of 10mm (US 15) circular needles with a 20″ or 24″ cable.
You also need stitch markers, a tape measure, a darning needle, and a different colored yarn to make pom poms for decorating.
The stocking is knit in a simple way using a beginner sock pattern, you will need to know how to knit, purl, work in the round and decrease using K2tog and SSK.
How much yarn do I need to make a Christmas stocking?
I made this stocking using a super bulky weight (06)/super chunky/14 ply yarn – One skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman (170g/106yd/97m).
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
There are many delicious colors in the Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarns for you to choose from but Fisherman is one of my favorite colors because it goes with everything!
How long does it take to Knit a Christmas stocking?
This Christmas stocking knits up super fast as you are using super bulky yarn and large needles.
I knit this up in an afternoon (in around 3 hours) while watching a Christmas movie!
It’s a fantastic quick knit project, great for last-minute decorations or gifting.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as working the knit stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- How to K2tog.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Christmas Stocking Knitting Pattern
The stocking knits up quickly in super bulky yarn and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy (great for advanced beginners and the more experienced)
Size – The finished size of the stocking is as follows;
- Height – From the top of cuff to heel = 12.5 inches / From the top of cuff to toe = 19 inches
- Width – From side of stocking to side = 6.5 inches / From toe to heel = 11 inches
Gauge = 10 sts / 14 rounds in 4 inches measured in pattern (stocking stitch).
The Supplies You Need
- 1 skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick (170g/106yd/97m) in the color Fisherman.
- Coordinating color for the pom poms – I used The Petite Wool from We Are Knitters in Red. You need around 40g for this.
- Any super bulky/super chunky/14 ply weight yarn.
- Yarn weight guide
- 10mm (US 15) 20″ or 24″ circular knitting needles.
- I used my set of interchangeable circular needles.
- If you use a larger size cable you may have to use the magic loop technique when knitting.
- Clover pom maker – 1 3/8 inch / 35mm
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit 2 stitches together
- P = Purl
- P2tog = Purl 2 stitches together
- PM = Place marker
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- St St = Stockinette stitch
- SSK = Slip, slip knit – slip 2 stitches to your right needle, then transfer back to the left needle to knit together.
Time needed: 3 hours and 30 minutes.
Christmas Stocking Knitting Pattern
- Cast On
Cast on 30 sts.
- Knit The Cuff
Next, you will knit the cuff.
PM and join in the round being careful not to twist the sts.
Round 1: K1, P1 to the end of the round.
Continue to K1, P1 in 1×1 rib until the piece measures 4 inches from the CO edge.
- Knit The Main Body Of The Stocking
Next round: Knit
Continue to knit every round until you have completed 40 rounds.
- Knit The Heel Flap
*Place a marker at each side of the piece, so you have 15 sts on either side.
K 15 sts
Rep until you have worked 6 rows of st st.
- Turn The Heel
Sl 1, K5, SSK, K1, turn,
Sl 1, P1, P2tog, P1, turn,
Sl 1, K2, SSK, K1, turn,
Sl 1, P2, P2tog, P1, turn,
Sl 1, K3, SSK, K1, turn,
Sl 1, P3, P2tog, P1, turn,
Sl 1, K4, SSK, K1, turn,
Sl 1, P4, P2tog, P1, turn,
Sl 1, knit across the rem sts.
- The Gusset
Pick up and knit 8 sts along the gusset.
Knit sts along the instep.
Pick up and knit 8 sts along the other side of the gusset.
Knit across to the end of the round (where the yarn joins).
PM at either side of the gusset (the sides of the piece if you have not done so already).
K1, SSK, K17, K2tog, K16.
K1, SSK, K 16, K2tog, K15.
K1, SSK, K15, K2tog, K14.
K1, SSK, K14, K2tog, K13.
K1, SSK, K13, K2tog, K12.
- The Foot
Knit in the round until you have completed 8 rounds.
- The Toe
K1, SSK, K10, K2tog, K2tog, K9, K2tog.
K1, SSK, K8, K2tog, K2tog, K7, K2tog.
K1, SSK, K6, K2tog, K2tog, K5, K2tog.
K1, SSK, K4, K2tog, K2tog, K3, K2tog.
K1, SSK, K2, K2tog, K2tog, K1, K2tog.
- Graft The Toe
Graft the toe either using the Kitchener stitch or you can cast off the rem sts and seam using the mattress stitch.
Weave in any loose ends.
- The Hanging Loop – Cast-on
CO 14 sts (knit flat – don’t join in the round).
Knit 1 row.
- The Hanging Loop – Cast off
Cut yarn with a tail of 8″.
- Attach the hanging loop to the stocking
Fold the loop in half and stitch, then attach to the corner of the stocking and stitch into place.
- Create and attach the pom poms
With your pom pom maker and colored yarn make 4 pom poms the same size, leaving a tail of around 8 inches.
Stitch the pom poms onto the front of the stocking cuff – along the edge using the tail of each pom pom to do this.
I spaced out each pom pom by 2 inches starting at one end and then moving down to the other.
More Christmas Knitting Patterns
For free Christmas knitting patterns and more please take a look at these posts;
- Baby Santa Sack Hat
- Baby Christmas Tree Hat
- Christmas Puppy Sweater Pattern
- Free Christmas Knitting Patterns
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the Christmas stocking, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work.