This ribbed hat pattern is a great project for anyone learning how to knit in the round.
Not too bulky and not too light, this hat is comfortable to wear on those chilly days when you know the sun might come out later!
Scroll down to view the free pattern or grab the ad-free PDF from my shop here.
An Easy-Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, you will shape the hat through simple decreases.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
The Yarn I Used
I made the hat using Classic Alize Lanagold yarn and knit on size 5.5 mm (US 9) 16″ circular needles.
You can find this yarn on Etsy or can substitute it with any worsted or aran yarn.
I knit this hat in the round on circular needles, so there was no seaming involved, just a few loose ends to sew in at the end.
The stitch pattern I used for the hat is the broken rib stitch.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to knit in the round.
More Hat Patterns
If you would like to make more knitted items/hats for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
You may also like these free patterns for adult-sized hats:
Ribbed Hat Pattern
The classic ribbed hat knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
The broken rib stitch pattern gives a lovely texture to the knitted fabric.
The needles you use should be long enough to work in the round, or you can use a longer cable and the magic loop technique.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, only link to the pattern page.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Baby, Toddler, Child, Adult
- Height of finished hat (adult) – 10″ this makes a slouchy hat.
- If you don’t want the hat to have a slouch you can knit the height like this – 6, (7, 7.5, 8) inches.
- The hat will have a more fitted style.
Gauge – 16 sts and 24 rounds in 4 inches
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx – Approximately
- Beg – Begin(ning)
- CO – Cast on
- Cont – Continue(ing)
- K – Knit
- K2tog – Knit the next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- CO B – 54, (T – 63, C – 72, A – 81) sts
- Join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- Round 3 – Knit
- Round 4 – *K2, P1* rep from * to *
- Rep rounds 3 and 4 until the hat measures B – 6.5, (T – 7.5, C – 8, A – 8.5) inches from the CO edge.
- K2tog, P1 – rep to the end of the round.
- Knit – rep to the end of the round.
- K2tog – rep to the end of the round.
- Cut a length of yarn and thread through the remaining stitches – pull tight and secure.
- Weave in any loose ends.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.