This ribbed hat pattern is a great project for anyone who is learning how to knit in the round.
Not too bulky and not too light, this hat is comfortable to wear on those chilly days when you know the sun might come out later!
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
The Yarn I Used
I made the hat using Classic Alize Lanagold yarn and knit on size 5.5 mm (US 9) 16″ circular needles.
You can find this yarn on Etsy or can substitute it with any worsted or aran yarn.
I knit this hat in the round on circular needles, so there was no seaming involved, just a few loose ends to sew in at the end.
The stitch pattern I used for the hat is broken rib.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Hat Patterns
If you would like to make more knitted items/hats for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
There are also knitted hat patterns for women, men, baby and kids in the hat pattern library.
You may also like these free patterns for adult-sized hats:
- Knit Hat Pattern | Love Story
- Easy beginner hat pattern
- The Sofia Hat Knitting Pattern
- The Alexia Hat Knitting Pattern
Ribbed Hat Pattern
The hat knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
Baby, Toddler, Child, Adult
Height of finished hat (adult) – 10″ this has a little slouch.
If you don’t want the hat to have slouch you can knit the height like this – 6, (7, 7.5, 8) inches.
The hat will have a more fitted style.
Gauge – 16 sts and 20 rounds in 4 inches
The Supplies You Need…
5.5mm (US 9) 16″ circular knitting needles
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- CO – Cast on
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- CO B – 54, (T – 63, C – 72, A – 81) sts
- Join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- Round 3 – Knit
- Round 4 – *K2, P1* rep from * to *
- Rep rounds 3 and 4 until the hat measures B – 6.5, (T – 7.5, C – 8, A – 8.5) inches from the co edge.
- K2tog, P1 – rep to the end of the round.
- Knit – rep to the end of the round.
- K2tog – rep to the end of the round.
- Cut a length of yarn and thread through the rem sts – pull tight and secure.
- Weave in any loose ends.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo