This simple women’s ponytail hat knitting pattern is an excellent beginner project.
Using basic knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
This ribbed bun beanie requires a little crochet knowledge to finish it off, to tidy up the top where the hole for the hair is.
I created a single crochet stitched edge around the hole to tidy it up.
This is not totally necessary, but it makes it look a bit neater.
This bun hat is a beginner level pattern, with basic ribbing used, knit and purl stitches.
Ponytail Hat Pattern
The hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on 16″ circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
Ponytail Hat Knitting Pattern
This easy hat knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning the basic knitting stitches.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted items for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free PDF version from my shop.
Thank you for your support!
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- 1 skein (or leftover yarn) of super bulky yarn (Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in grey marble) and leftovers of another colour, I used Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in wheat, suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Scrap yarns can be used, as you do not need a full skein for this pattern.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Crochet hook 10mm (N/15)
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
YARN A – Grey Marble / YARN B – Wheat
- Cast on > 40 sts with Yarn A, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- K1, P1 ribbing until the work measures 5″ from the cast on edge.
- (If you want the hat to be a little longer – you can increase this by one or two inches).
- Change to Yarn B and knit 3 rows.
Decrease as follows >
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1, K2tog* Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: *K2tog* Rep from * around.
- 3rd rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around till last st.
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten so that you have an opening large enough to fit your hair through.
Don’t close it up too tightly or it will be difficult to pass your hair through the hole.
Sew in any loose ends.
With a 10mm (N/15) crochet hook (or you can use a lower number – 7mm will be ok) create a single crochet line around the hole for the hair, to tidy up the edge.
This hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
You are welcome to sell items knit from this pattern, I just ask that you give pattern credit to Handy Little Me and link to www.handylittleme.com in any listings. Thank you!
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
PM - Place marker
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Ponytail Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
Lion Brand Yarn 641-154 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Bonus Bundle, Grey Marble
KnitPro Symfonie Interchangeable Needle Chunky Set, Multi-Color
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.