This simple women’s ponytail hat knitting pattern is an excellent beginner project, for anyone who wishes to learn how to knit in the round.
Using basic knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Finishing Off The Bun Beanie
This ribbed bun beanie requires a little crochet knowledge to finish it off, to tidy up the top where the hole for the hair is.
I created a single crochet stitched edge around the hole to tidy it up.
This is not totally necessary, but it makes it look a bit neater.
The Yarn I Used
I made the beanie hat using two yarns – 1 skein (or leftover yarn) of super bulky yarn (Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in grey marble) and leftovers of another colour, I used Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in wheat.
This was knit up quite quickly and used less than one skein of yarn from each colour.
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Ponytail Hat Knitting Pattern
The messy bun hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Adult woman
- Height – approx – 7 inches / width – 9 inches
- To fit head with a circumference of around 22-26 inches
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 skein (or leftover yarn) of super bulky yarn (Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in grey marble) and leftovers of another colour, I used Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in wheat.
- Scrap yarns can be used, as you do not need a full skein for this pattern.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards. / yarn weight guide
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular knitting needles
- Crochet hook 10mm (N/15)
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM Place marker
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
Yarn A – Grey Marble / Yarn B – Wheat
- Cast on > 40 sts with Yarn A, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- K1, P1 ribbing until the work measures 5″ from the cast on edge.
- (If you want the hat to be a little longer – you can increase this by one or two inches).
- Change to Yarn B and knit 3 rows.
Decrease as follows >
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1, K2tog* Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: *K2tog* Rep from * around.
- 3rd rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around till last st.
Draw end through rem sts and fasten so that you have an opening large enough to fit your hair through.
Don’t close it up too tightly or it will be difficult to pass your hair through the hole.
Sew in any loose ends.
With a 10mm (N/15) crochet hook (or you can use a lower number – 7mm will be ok) create a single crochet line around the hole for the hair, to tidy up the edge.
I love seeing your finished projects!