This simple beanie hat with pom pom knitting pattern is an excellent project for anyone who is learning how to knit and use circulars.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
This knitted hat has been made with the softest yarn and will be sure to keep you nice and cosy in the cold weather.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any beginner or advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Beanie Hat With Pom Pom Pattern
The hat knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
To fit head around 22-24 inches in circumference.
10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm.
The Supplies You Need
- 1 skein of super bulky yarn suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Rico Creative Melange in white 01 (x 2 skeins) or something similar.
- I used 2 strands together of the Rico Creative Melange in 001 to knit the hat.
- A good yarn substitute would be 1 x skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick (knit with only 1 strand).
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Yarn weight guide
- Darning Needle
- Tape Measure
- Stitch markers
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- P2tog – Purl next 2 stitches together
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Cast on 40 sts, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st round: *K2, P2 – rep from * to the end of the round.
- Repeat the 1st round until the work measures 2.5′′ from the cast on edge.
- Next row: Purl to the end of the round.
- Continue to purl every round until the hat measures 8.5′′ or 9′′ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- *P2tog, P2tog – rep from * to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Thread end through a darning needle and draw end through rem sts, pull up tightly and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo