This simple easy knitted hat pattern is an excellent project for anyone who is learning how to knit and use circular knitting needles.
This knitted hat has been made with the softest yarn and will be sure to keep the wearer nice and cozy in the cold weather.
Please scroll down to view the free pattern or purchase a printer-friendly ad-free PDF in my shop here.
An Easy-Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, you will also complete simple decreases to shape.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
The Yarn I Used…
I made the Phaidra beanie using a super bulky weight (06) yarn – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in the color Spice.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn.
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This easy hat pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to knit in the round.
Easy Knitted Hat Pattern
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
Using broken ribbing for the brim gives an interesting texture, as an alternative to a simple rib stitch.
The main body of the hat is then worked in knit stitches (every row knit – this looks like stockinette stitch when knitting in the round) before decreasing for the top of the hat.
This project would make a great gift for a friend or family member or to donate.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute, or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Adult medium.
- Hat length lying flat w/o pom = 9 inches.
- Width lying flat = 9 inches.
- To fit a head circumference size of around 22-26 inches.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm.
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 skein of Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Spice
- Suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) circular needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards. / yarn weight guide
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular knitting needles
- You may need to use dpns – double-pointed needles for the decreases or you can use the magic loop technique.
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx – Approximately
- Beg – Begin(ning)
- Cont – Continue(ing)
- K – Knit
- K2tog – Knit the next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- M1 – Make 1 stitch
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- Cast on (long tail) > 40 sts, join in the round, and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to the end of the round.
- 2nd rnd: Knit to the end of the round.
- Repeat the two rounds above until the work measures 2.5′′ from the cast on edge.
- Next row: Knit to the end of the round.
- Continue to knit every round until the hat measures 8.5′′ or 9′′ from the cast-on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog, K2tog – rep to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
Draw the end through rem sts and fasten securely with a knot.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating color.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.